Zerex G-05

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to be installing an '02 Explorer engine and '01 Cobra radiator in my '95 Cougar. I don't want to use the traditional green coolant, because of the sediment in my overflow tank, and the new engine with less than 1000 miles already has "crystals" forming in a few passageways. I was going to use DexCool (prestone), but I have heard some horror stories about it. Then I found the Zerex G-05, and it seems to be pretty good stuff, So I think I'm going to go with that (It's listed as meeting or exceeding Ford's Spec for the Explorer's coolant). The question is, should I mix it 50/50 or . I always thought that a mixture (50/50 or so) raised the boil over temp of the coolant, but also the freeze point. The Zerex, however, has a 70/30 (70% A/F) freeze point of -90F, and a boil point of 277F, and a 50/50 of -34F and 265F. Granted, my car will more than likely never see -90 (and hopefully nothing over 215 or so), I would like as much boil over protection as possible.

What is everyone's sugestion and opinion on the G-05?

Thanks

Water cools better that glycol coolants, so use they necessary ratio of coolant to water for your climate. 50/50 might be enough...I would try to avoid anything more that 60% coolant/40% water.

If you engine is running above thermostat temperature now, it will run hotter with more antifreeze. The stuff doesn't cool as well as water.

Stick to 50/50 unless you live in a place where you actually need better than -34 protection.

http://www.tccoa.com/ good cougar site

I have a 95 cougar with the 4.6 also, haven't driven it in months, it's my summer car. the folks above are right water cools better.

you should pick some power with the new engine, I would think some low end torque atleast

G-05 is good stuff. I'm currently using it in my family's three vehicles--two BMW's and a GMC Sonoma. Here is an article in Car and Driver magazine about it: Car & Driver article on antifreeze

I did a lot of research on antifreeze before deciding on G-05. It's readily available; it's approved for Mercedes, Chrysler and Ford; it doesn't have the problems of DexCool which forms a nasty mess if air enters the cooling system; and it's more compatible with other antifreeze formula than DexCool's Organic Acid Technology corrosion inhibitors. It may not be as good as the most recent European formulations such as G-48, but it's close. G-48 is what BMW uses as factory fill, but you can't buy it anywhere other than at the dealer (or at a Saab dealer). G-05 is better in corrosion tests than the other antifreezes, however. Check out Valvoline.com and click on through to the technical specs. There are PDF files on how their various antifreezes do on standard ASTM tests.

Be sure to flush out your system well before changing your system over.

Personally, I like the approach the Japanese OEMs take to antifreeze which is no silicate (sand as a cleaner but also eats away at water pumps and seals) and no phosphates (which is why they call for using distilled water). The closest chemistry to this is G-05 which is low or no silicate but has phosphates and does indeed come close to matching up with the European chemistries (they use a higher phosphate formula primarily due to hard water throughout Europe). Unfortunately, there is no American antifreeze OEM that make a no silicate, no phosphate formula that matches the Japanese OEM chemistry which boggles my mind. Only you local Honda, Toyota or Nissan dealer carries it at a whopping $15-$18/gallon. The G05 is close though and I would select this or the low silicate Zerex antifreezes if I wasn't ponying up for the OEM for my Nissan. As far as Dex-Cool and similar chemistries, not even something I would consider.

Thanks guys...

Millerman, I should pick up about 40Hp, not sure about the torque.

Since I am installing a new radiator, and the (new) engine is drained (I pulled the drain plugs and put the engine on it's side, so it ould be near 100% empty now), The only thing I should needd to flush is the heater core.

Folk on the Mercedes Benz (MB) forums praise Zerex G-05. It's cheaper than the MB brand coolant yet meets MB requirements. MB doesn't allow "the green stuff" in their engines. Plus, the MB folk in-the-know (like the people here) look down on green coolant for their car. Zerex G-05 and the regular green coolant have radically different additive packages.

With this reasoning I'll be switching over to Zerex G-05 for all my cars.

If the G stands for Glysantin, it is a product developed in Germany by BASF. I've been trying to find this product for a couple of years, now Valvoline in Australia has just started selling the G-05 coolant.
fruit.gif

Here is a bit of extra info on it

http://www.imcool.com/articles/antifreeze-coolant/G05-Glysantin.htm

Dave

well low and mid range torque is what I would want more of. true more HP would be nice too. depends on what your doing with the car I guess

what exhaust manifolds are you going to use? I would think that they would have a effect on actual power

offtopic.gif
, but for now, I am going to use the stock manifolds, an I plan to get kooks headers and custom dual 2.5" exahust after I recover from the swap...

quote:

Originally posted by nick778:
Personally, I like the approach the Japanese OEMs take to antifreeze which is no silicate (sand as a cleaner but also eats away at water pumps and seals) and no phosphates (which is why they call for using distilled water). The closest chemistry to this is G-05 which is low or no silicate but has phosphates and does indeed come close to matching up with the European chemistries (they use a higher phosphate formula primarily due to hard water throughout Europe). Unfortunately, there is no American antifreeze OEM that make a no silicate, no phosphate formula that matches the Japanese OEM chemistry which boggles my mind. Only you local Honda, Toyota or Nissan dealer carries it at a whopping $15-$18/gallon. The G05 is close though and I would select this or the low silicate Zerex antifreezes if I wasn't ponying up for the OEM for my Nissan. As far as Dex-Cool and similar chemistries, not even something I would consider.

Got my facts a little mixed up. The G05 contains no phosphates for the reasons mentioned above and low silicates. Still think it is a very good alternative to Japanese OEM specific fluid.

The chemical makeup of Zerex G-05 used to be listed on their website. I just checked, they don't have it there anymore. It used to list the exact chemicals that went into their antifreeze. I wonder what gives.

formulations change too,
I have a 12/00 jug of prestone 5/150 antifreeze and it says clearly on the side "no phosphates aand no silicates.
the new 5/150 prestone does not say that.

and prestone's web page instructions ignore the coolant in the block too

[ January 17, 2004, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: edwardh1 ]

I'm not aware of any US made no silicates, no phosphate coolant except the Dex-cool chemistries which I personally will not use. It would, however, be great to find one as a like alternative to the expensive Japanese OEM coolant.

quote:

Originally posted by nick778:
I'm not aware of any US made no silicates, no phosphate coolant except the Dex-cool chemistries which I personally will not use. It would, however, be great to find one as a like alternative to the expensive Japanese OEM coolant.

Peak claims "Furthermore, it meets the silicate free requirements of Japanese car manufacturers and the phosphate free requirements of European car manufacturers."
http://www.peakantifreeze.com/faq.html#F
for their PEAK Global Extended Life coolant.

I have no experiance with Peak and know nothing about how good their products are.

any other web sites on car antifreeze?
Looks like there must be 5 or more different kinds (not brands out now)

[ January 18, 2004, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: edwardh1 ]

I almost posted a question on G-05 just before this thread started. I have put this stuff in my Dodge Dakota. Although it says it`s compatible on the bottle I was worried about it messing up my cooling system.(and my warranty) It appears to be the same stuff, so I feel much better. Thanks guys!
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back