Sub-micron filter media (Ralph?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDP

I am getting into biodiesel and want to remove the last bit of water and filter everything out of the fuel before it hits the truck tank. I have read here but can't find references to shredded news paper bypass filter media. Question, can I build a filter from a 6 inch pipe and stuff it with shredded paper or loose TP and do the 2 things listed above? I expect to have to change the media very often, so something easy and cheap is my goal. Thanks.

WDP

I don't know about loose newspaper...tp usually works best when the roll is very tight ..I would just use a motorguard filter...someone on here says he has to change it ever couple of weeks, but at a buck a filter...thats pretty cheap

The shredded newspaper elements may not be submicronic. They are sold by WIX and others but I think most of them are made by Fleetguard. They are not like the shredded paper you would find in an office. They look more like a mouse nest when the mouse has access to newspapers to chew up. those are the Fleetguard LF-750-A element. I am filtering water and glycol in a large chiller at work. The filters normally take two rolls of Bounty Big Roll paper towels. The paper towels don't work very well with mostly water. We use a lot of recycled rags in the plant for clean up. They are old sweatshirtws and are called fleece rags. I dropped in a perforated disc to keep the rags off the outlet and drilled out the orifice. the coolant comes up thru the center tube and spills out on the top of the rags. It goes down thru the rags and out the bottom. When the coolant stops going thru the rags and entering the big tank I pull the tags out with a hook and put in new rags. the housing is made from 6" hydraulic tubing. I converted a newspaper filter to take Scott center pull roll paper towels for filtering the waste cooking oil before it goes into the old Ford diesel. I have a Motor Guard on the truck to make sure nothing gets to the injection system. I will be getting ready for next winter with a Luberfiner 750 adapted to take Scott center pull towels and have enough room for a coil at the bottom to heat the fuel. I just brought home a Datsun 1981 with a 132 CID diesel engine. Hopefully I can get parts for it. The old man told me it runs and starts good but uses about a quart every 200 miles. I might get lucky and all it needs is valve seals.

Ralph
burnout.gif

wouldn't the biodiesel filtering process get all of the water out? shouldn't it? if water entrainment is a major problem with biodiesel, i would think i would have read about it by now.

Thanks- I do have a spare MG, looks like I will use that. Jameson, the bubble wash method of BD clean up may leave an unknown quanity of water in the fuel. Most producers us a 10 mic filter that doesn't trap water. Even good fuel has 1000-1500 PPM water. The sub micron filter that sucks out the water would be the topper.

WDP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back