How tight should I tighten the fittings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am preparing to install my Frantz bypass filter. Without any prior experience of working with these brass fittings I am concerning of over tightening or possible leakage. Can you share any tips on how to properly connect these fittings and hoses? Thanks.

Depends on whether they are the O-ring seals or metal to metal leaks. Now most of your OEM fittings are O-rings or something. As long as the O-rings are in good shape, they only need to be tightened up enough to make sure they don't vibrate loose.

The auto manufactures have largely abandoned flare fittings because of persistent problems with leakage. I know, I know, you can keep them from leaking. Good for you, however, I have seen many filthy messes where oil accumulates from small seepages out of flare fittings. Be very careful not to scratch or mar the mating surfaces. Tighten them up fairly tight, you should be able to feel the metal springing a little long before your strip it. Check them after you start the engine, and tighten them up a little more if they leak. If you don't have the special wrenches made to fit over the line and contact about 5 sides of the hex, buy them, and not cheap ones. Even the best open end wrench may round a brass flare nut before tightening it enough. Don't use anything on the threads. The seal is at the flare. I don't know what it is about brake lines, but I seldom see any leaks with their flare fittings.

The tapered pipe threads are different. There the seal is dependent on good pipe dope. I like Loctite PST in the tube better than Teflon. Read and follow directions with either.

FYI, I had to remove and re-seal the connector at the center of (2) Frantz units due to leaks upon installation. You may want to consider making that the first thing on your installation list, because it is a pain later.
I have (2) Frantz filters on my diesel tractor - one for oil and the other for hydraulic fluid. The engine oil is just now after 50 hours starting to have a black tinge to it.

well, as I told you I installed the fratz tranny adapter ..so that is , what ...7 places for it to leak at ....had none at the filter...had none at the place where the filter is fed and returned..butr did have 2 at the eds of the adapter ...had to retighten them twice... now there apwears to be o leaks...I used pipe dope..whish i would have used teflon tape

I put silicone on all fittings/mating surfaces when I installed my Frantz filters...

http://community.webshots.com/user/mykro5656

Haven't had a leak since day one..
Try it.. You'll like it..
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sifan:
Can you elaborate on what kind of scilicone product is it? Where can I buy it?

Silicone Gasket Maker.. You can buy it at any automotive store... Kragen, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc...
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back