Silicone Spray on Rubber Seals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wipe my rubber seals (doors, trunk lid) with silicone spray everytime I change the oil, to keep them from sticking after parking in the sun for a long time.

Does any one see any long term ill effect of doing this?

Silicon spray is good I use Black Magic tire stuff for "rubber" plastics and vinylworks great and lasts quite a while.

It should not do any harm. I have read that it is recommended in my owner's manual.

Be careful with some silicone sprays around plastics. CRC silicone lubricant will damage some materials (though it is great on plain rubber). Prestone silicone lubricant doesn't seem as harsh.

I have been using 3M Silicone Lubricant for years with no negative effects. I think this is what the GM dealerships sell for protecting rubber door seals.
There is a dry type part # 08897 and a wet type part # 08877 so I keep a can of each on hand.
Both cans have a picture on the front of the can of rubber door seals being sprayed.

Warning do not use silicone spray on ant thing you do not want to be slick or slimy.

Will stain glass like many other products.
Don’t use on floor mats or any thing your feet may slip on.
Don’t use on steering wheels.
If you use it on vinyl seats wipe thornily or you will slide off.

Guys,

Even Ace pure silicone spray is great. If you spray that leaves a coat of near pure silicone you be great. I think Prestone makes a high silicone spray too.

You just want to stay away from spray lubes with silicone, as those hydrocarbon lubes don't do much for the rubber and smell funny too.

It is usually not the silicone that destroys the rubber/plastic, but the carrier of the silicone (such as Hexane, Naptha... etc.) which attacks the polymer links, leaving you with a weakened material after.

Most silicone spray-can products recommend a safe distance to spray from, this may help evaporate most the light solvents. If you see wetting or dripping off your too close. Problem is, this distance will get you too much overspray when doing window and door seals.

I like the pump spray products (303, UV protect t-wax etc). I keep a small terry cloth wax sponge reserved in a ziplock just for this job. Wet the sponge and wipe the product on.

FWIW, I asked a CV boot manufacture about sprays, thier reply was just to keep them clean, wiped off with mild soap and water. Anything else would probably do more harm than good. Also that most automotive 'rubbers' are NOT rubber, so I assume many of the products that claim to protect rubber don't really do much.

[ June 13, 2006, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: wileyE ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back