Rust preventative safe for electrical & electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got through looking underneath the dash of my 2002 Dodge pickup. I'm going to mount a fuel pressure gauge inside and I was looking for a place to attach the gauge mount. I was upset to see a lot of rust on the large metal bracket that all the electrical and electronic stuff is mounted to. My truck has never been in a flood nor has it ever leaked water inside the cab. I bought the truck new and the only thing I can come up with is that the factory installed that rusted metal when the truck was assembled. Is there any thing that I could use to spray the metal to keep it from rusting any further. Obviously there are a lot of electrical connections, wiring, electronics, plastic, vinyl etc. that the spray could contact. Just wondering if I can do something about it or should I leave it alone.

any rustoleum (aerosol/brush) is going to be fine for use in the interior. interior dash metal brackets usually arent painted or plated. they wont rust "much".

for exterior, i like por15 (www.por15.com). however, por15 needs topcoated (and two coats) for maximum protection. it does work though.

I tried Por15 and used all their steps correctly, Was Not impressed in the long run. I think if you get some rust converter and Rustoluem over top of it works the best, its also alot cheaper than things like POR15. If you really want to knock yourself out, after you paint, put some waxy film like amsoil HD metal protector on it. Seems like pretty good stuff, but will need touched up yearly if you see high ambient temps and/or alot of rain/salt/gravel on the roads.

If it is not in a visable area you might try either coldgalv or rustoleum rusty metal primer, and put on several light coats to insure it is well sealed.

The bean-counters consider "excess" or "unappreciated" quality to be a waste.
One out of a hundred men knowing that their vehicle is assembled from rusty parts is not enough; it has to be maybe 5 out of a hundred.

Such is American business.

But I would try removing the rusty part to properly finish it.
But if I were to go to that trouble, I would show it to a Chrysler service rep and make a stink about it - which is probably an exercise in futility..
The surface rust on this part is not all bad, it is a form of "finish", successful if no man ever sees it or its effects. When the vehicle is at the end of its designed life span, whatever that is,the part will just be another piece in a pile of rusty junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back