Shortage of denatured alcohol in USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know what Home Depot's issue is...

I use a lot of this as well, but I get mine at a local paint store, and it's always in stock. I remember the cost at right around $10.00/gallon last summer.

For the last year or so, it has been hit or miss trying to buy denatured alcohol at Home Depot in my area (DC/Virginia). Home Depot is well stocked with every other kind of solvent -- xylene, acetone, lacquer thinner, turpentine, mineral spirits, whatever. But no denatured alcohol. When you can find it there, the price has risen to about $12 per gallon, up from about $8 or $9 per gallon two years ago.

Denatured alcohol is primarily ethanol, with some methanol added so that people won't drink it. I put it in a plastic spray bottle and use it to wash down brake dust when I'm working on brakes. It is cheaper than store bought brake cleaner, and far less toxic. And it evaporates fast. Denatured alcohol is a fairly gentle solvent which is generally safe on plastics, unlike acetone. Mineral spirits leaves an oily film, and is not always kind to rubber seals. Of course one should never use mineral spirits on brakes.

I wonder if there is a real shortage of denatured alcohol, or if this is Home Depot having a problem with its supplier?

I use a lot of the stuff as well. Why not give Lowes a try? The ones down here always seem to have some in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back