WD-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! Seems I have always had this stuff around, but I don`t like the smell (as opposed to MMO). Lots of folks advise when not to use it; what are some of your favorite uses? Thanks.

I'll use WD-40 and a little paste wax on a machined iron surface (such as a drill press table, table saw top) to keep it from getting rusty (I should use my tools more often).

WD-40 also kills paper wasps effectively.

quote:

Originally posted by Rick in PA:
WD-40 also kills paper wasps effectively.

Especially when on fire
grin.gif

I might use WD-40 for something like rust prevention (if I ever had a can on hand), like on an iron or steel shop table as mentioned, but I don't use WD-40 for either lubrication or cleaning.

I clean all the dried up grass off my lawnmower every fall, spray it with WD-40, wrap it with plastic, and leave it outside all winter.
grin.gif

It was featured on the Discovery Lube Job show -They mix the crap in relatively small batches and only a couple folks know the whole formula.

I have a can, but rarely use it for lubrication. Mostly cleaning and flaming the neighbors through cracks in the fence.

quote:

Originally posted by fuel tanker man:
You know it sure is funny that in spite of all the flak that WD-40 gets here and elsewhere it sure does sell well.
smile.gif

Goes well with Fram filters.

I think the popularity of WD-40 has more to do with brand recognition than anything else. Kinda like 3-in-1 Oil back in the 50s and 60s. People know it as a handy household "lube"-but I still don`t like the smell!

quote:

Originally posted by fuel tanker man:
You know it sure is funny that in spite of all the flak that WD-40 gets here and elsewhere it sure does sell well.
smile.gif

It's good stuff if you want something that acts like cleaning solvent with a little bit of lube and preservative added. I find a lot of uses for it and the price is right.

WD-40 's real purpose is in its name from what I have been told. It is " water displacement 40 times its self " and was originally used as a water displacement in jet fuel. Racin a sprint car where there are lots of the parts that are bare chromoly it of course has a huge need, plus its a good way to make a hammered race car shine like it isn't beat to within an inch of its life for a little while. It's not much of a lube but it isn't intended to be either..
44H

quote:

I think the popularity of WD-40 has more to do with brand recognition than anything else. Kinda like 3-in-1 Oil back in the 50s and 60s. People know it as a handy household "lube"-but I still don`t like the smell.

I absolutely will not ust 3n1 because of that horrid smell. Hoppes number 9 use to sicken me too, now I can deal with it. Not so with 3 n 1!

"I find a lot of uses for it and the price is right."

Same here. I buy it by the gallon and use a spray bottle, for tools in the garage, the lawn mower, initial application when cleaning something greasy or rusty, etc.

quote:

Originally posted by Cornbread:
Hey everyone! Seems I have always had this stuff around, but I don`t like the smell (as opposed to MMO). Lots of folks advise when not to use it; what are some of your favorite uses? Thanks.

WD-40 works on my arthritic elbow and knee. Yep! It works, and you don't smell like liniment either.

According to KarNak; WD-40 was the first iteration that displaced water, after their 39th try!

Happy days!
Dave

I never use it. 1 I don't trust anything that is hyped that much. 2 I don't know what is in it making it difficult to make intelligent choices about where to use it. 3 I can buy real silicone for the same or less. It is true that you can get into trouble spraying silicone here there and everywhere, but I know it is a silicone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back