Castrol Super Clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be careful using this product. It's so powerful it ate a hole in the original gallon container and the replacement plastic coke bottle I tried. It also will make your fingers go numb, if you don't use gloves. Never consider using this stuff without safety goggles. I would hate to see what it would do to your eyes.

Oil Eater Cleaner Degreaser from Costco is a much safer product.

[ July 16, 2005, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: TxGreaseMonkey ]

I use it regularly and consider it to be the best de-greaser around, one that genuinely cleans engines and wheel wells, haven't sufffered any problems so far, been using it since its launch.

I've used the stuff for years and have never had a problem with it eating it's bottles. it will dry your skin badly and discolor aluminum. it's a very alkaline butyl acetate cleaner, that's why it degreases so well.
ZEP purple dereaser is even a bit stronger but it's fumes are bad. lately i've been trying out greased lighting degreaser, it's not as strong but seems to remove grease well.

The problem with the Oil Eater from Costco is the stuff doesn't work.

The latest formulation of Greased Lightning works really well and is a better general cleaner as well. Works great on soap scum, too.

Simple Green isn't bad on most grease but somehow it makes me all chokey so I have trouble breathing.

Castrol Super Clean works great. But yes, do be very careful to avoid contact with the stuff, it's NASTY on the skin. I have not had problems with it eating it's container.

The biggest problem I've found with the stuff is finding it. ALL the local stores don't carry it any longer. I thought this was a California thing, so I drove over into Nevada, and nobody there carries it either. Whassup with that? I had to go online and order it mail order.

So, why are retailers not carrying the stuff any more? Where is the cheapest online place I can get it? I'd really like the get the 1 gallon refill jug.

Consumer Product Safety Commission has received complaints about the product. CPSC lists Castrol as having a major recall of around 850,000 cans, due to Super Clean leaking from spray cans. My problem was with 1 gal. plastic jugs. I think this is a dangerous product and I'm not one to normally say that.

quote:

Originally posted by TxGreaseMonkey:
..... My problem was with 1 gal. plastic jugs. I think this is a dangerous product and I'm not one to normally say that.

H-m-m-m-m.

I have a bottle in my garage that has been a couple years unopened. I got it for my driveway and haven't gotten around to using it.

I am going to set it into a five-gallon bucket, just in case. Secondary containment.

I have a bottle of muriatic acid stored in a bucket, I use that for cleaning of a toilet bowl that develops mineral deposits and flushes poorly.

When Super Clean ate a hole through the bottom of the container, the particle board shelf in my garage collapsed. It created a mess.

I did some digging and found out what's going on. Castrol has sold the Super Clean product line to a company called Super Clean Acquisitions. They are shipping the original formula stuff again to 49 States, and will have the special California version shipping by the end of the month.

the only problem i have had with it is getting a whiff of airborn mist.its a real irritant.
it will dissolve some paints and lettering at full strength.

I remember how imporessed I was at the way it degreased a never-cleaned DETROIT in the Freightliner I was assigned. Tractor had over 700,000 miles on it. Yeah, it'll fade paint and underhood stickers, but, hey . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back