WD-40 Uses.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I was poking around on the WD-40 website looking at tips and uses for their product. They also had some cool tips that didn’t have anything to do with WD-40 like how to mount a vice on a piece of plate steel and then insert in your truck mounted receiver hitch for a portable vice. Anyway I digress. The question(s) I have concern spraying WD-40 on your windshield wiper blades to keep them from sticking, also using WD-40 to clean bugs off the front of a vehicle and one tip suggested spraying WD-40 all across the front of vehicle to keep bugs from sticking? Has anyone done this? My main concern is that it might damage the paint or plastic bumper on some of today’s cars?
On the windshield wiper blades I have just never heard of this, doesn’t seem like oil and water would mix?
I am going to East Texas this weekend so if the whole “prevent bugs from sticking” thing would work, now would be a time to try it.
Comments, suggestions, ideas?

"Regarding keeping bugs off the paint, would a good waxing before you travel work better? "

Maybe/probably but the allure of the WD-40 is that I could just spray it on quickly and rinse off when I got back home. Waxing is a pain.

Windshield wiper blades seem to be made of a fairly low grade of rubber that is intended to not last very long. I doubt that their resistance to petroleum products is very good.

The primary ingredient in WD40 is either kerosene or stoddard cleaning solvent. Probably won't hurt your paint, but no guarantees.

I used to use silicone spray, like the silicone lube in a spray can, on the front of cars before driving through bug country. It worked. Residial silicone can be problem if you want to paint later.

Do not put WD-40 on wiper blades. I had a co-worker pull a prank do that to my car when I was a kid working construction and the first rainfall made it he** to see. I ended up putting on new blades. I wax my windshield with TurtleWax or use RainX -- the rain beeds up and my wipers don't stick at all.

I use lemon pledge on the blades and window, also on the plastic front end parts. The bugs do come off easier, 'cept maybe the really juicy ones.

Our Telecom workers used WD40 for chewing gum removale,the only thing that worked they reckon.I spray my bikes,road and dirt all over with WD40,keeps them looking nice and I get to have fun in the first few corners till it wears off.

I commonly use WD-40 as a cleaner/degreaser on lawnmowers, string trimmers, chainsaws, etc. It does not harm the paint - the light carrier oil leaves a slightly glossy shine on the equipment.

A large percentage of the formulation is stoddard solvent, which sometimes is labeled as de-odorized kerosene.

An old trick for putting a shine on a car after washing was to add a few drops of kerosene to the rinse water bucket & wipe down thoroughly.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like it would be safe to hose down the front of my truck with WD-40 before going into “bug-country”. I just wanted to make sure since this truck is only 9 mos old and it is the nicest truck I have ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back