PB Garage Door Lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this number at a Big Lots store the other day. Looks like it's made by the manufacturer of PB Blaster (at least graphics on the can are similar). As far as I remember, it's some kind of silicone, Teflon, who-knows-what-else type of deal. According to the text on the can, supposed to do all kinds of wonderful things for garage doors.
Has anybody heard anything about it? (The search of this forum returned 0 results).
Thanks.

depends on what part of the system you are lubricating. Most people incorrectly slather some grease on the tracks and walk away.

In the track type that I have, you have roller bearings, hinges between the sections, counterbalance shaft end bearings and an electric opener traveller and motor that all need some kind of lubrication at times.

I would think that a light oil in the bearings and hinge pins would suffice, but I know the lube for the worm-gear traveller is a much heavier grease.

quote:

I would think that a light oil in the bearings and hinge pins would suffice, but I know the lube for the worm-gear traveller is a much heavier grease.

The man who installed the new garage door motor where I live only used spray silicone on the rails, springs, and even the worm gear. No grease or oil. That was his recommendation after 14 years of maintaining and installing garage doors.

You don't want a tacky grease for these open applications. Too much dust and dirt...and the "grease" turns into a grinding compounds.

I have all the current PB Products - this Garange Door spray is fairly clear and dry.

So,

One year later on this thread: Is PB the best garage door lubricant (the metal tracks, specifically) that is available?

Mobil 1 silicone spray ain't cuttin' it for longevity (or lubrication, for that matter).

I tried white lithium grease before reading Pablo's post above. Live and learn.

Any ideas on the #1 garage door track lubricant?

Do you really need to lube the track? As long as the rollers are lubed, I would say you are good. Lubing the track makes a big mess. Most rollers are nylon or someting now, so I just give the bushing or bearings a shot once a year and call it good.

I have used the PB Blaster garage door lube and it works great. It also works good for tool box drawer slides because it is dry and doesn't collect much dust.

try the new DuPond PTFE and Soluble Moly Dry lube available in the tool section of Lowe's home improvement stores. This stuff is awesome, and no,I don't work for DuPont or Lowe's. About 5 bucks a can.

Dang!

I was just at Lowe's at lunchtime buying a new water cooler. I wish I had seen your post this a.m. Maybe Home Depot has it (it's a lot closer).

Thanks for the "heads up!"

tmorris1:

My doors are original with the house, about 15 years old this July. The rollers certainly are not nylon!

My manual states NOT to lube the track. It says to lube the rollers and hinges once/yr. That's why I picked up PB GDL at Big Lots. Prior to this, I was using Slick 50 One Lube. In all honestly, I like the One Lube for interior door/cabinet hinges, etc. I've never had to apply it to a sqeaky hinge more than once.

quote:

Originally posted by kkreit01:
My manual states NOT to lube the track. It says to lube the rollers and hinges once/yr.

So does mine. I replaced the rollers earlier this year with nylon ones in my 10 year old door. The door goes up and down easily and nearly silent-the track itself has no lubricant in it.

Liquid Wrench with Teflon is one of the best.

Or if you can find it "Slick, Slick Stuff" or "Inox"...if you can find it.

Never use grease on the side tracks...but use a low temp grease(Lubriplate makes a good one) for the opener boom(track) if you have a screw driven opener.

its works for me but man does the GDL smell...make sure you give it time ti dry and not put the garage door up or it will drip on whatever is below it.

I've been using sliplate on the tracks and rollers for quite a while and it works well. I suppose any spray or "paint on" dry moly lube would work just as well, I just have a ready supply of sliplate. Silicon would be better for the worm drive, but won't last long IMO.

I've started using SL-10 "Oil Can" lube from MPC for my garage door. Both on the hinges/roller bearings, and the EP add is great for the screw/track. Much smoother and quieter and cleaner than the black goop that was on there before. Also, works great on car door hinges and latches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back