TAL 5 or T.A.L. 5 obsolete product from WD-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a free sample from a trade rag when it first came out. Sat on a shelf for a while. I've used it to resurrect 3 electric motors that were suffering from a terminal death rattle. All three are going strong, even though on was to the point that you had to nudge it to get it started.

Anyway Just wanted to know if you guys have used it and what you think. I have found a source and went ahead and ordered a 12-pack.

Any one have any good info on T.A.L. 5?

I just picked up 4 cans of TAL5 at an old hardware store.
It has a ball in the can and you shake like spray paint before using.

Lumberg how many cans do you need?

What do you use it for and what do you know about the sruff?

What is use it for is to resurrect dead electric motors. I've had many an electric motor (actually I believe all fans) start slowing down, making noise, or even seize up on me, and TAL-5 has resurrected just about every one. Some are still running now, 3 years after applying TAL-5, running better than they were 3 1/2 years ago. For others, it just bought me a few more hours/days/weeks before I really DID have to throw away or replace them.

As far as what I know about the stuff:

It was made by the maker of WD-40. TAL 5 was marketed as an "industrial" lubricant to distinguish it from WD-40 which is "light duty" at best
smile.gif

Presumably was an utter commercial failure as it was only made for a few years at most.

How many cans do I need?

As many as I can get! It's not made anymore so I basically am interested in a lifetime supply--I can only start to think about what exact number that represents.

Thanks,

J

Lumberg

As soon as I have time I will check and see if they have any more at the hard ware store.

I still want to learn more about TAL5.

One story I heard was that WD-40 made TAL-5 to meet a large companies specs and something fell through.

Mr 350

Thanks for your follow ups.

Any and all information is welcome and appreciated. This is what BITOG is all about!

No worries, feel free to PM me or post on this thread as events warrant.

J

TAL-5 is great stuff. Kind of like a super heavy-duty WD-40 that actually lubricates.

We sprayed the squeaky door hinges here at the office with some, and it hasn't resumed squeaking yet- more than a year later.

It's also good stuff for guns- it's light enough to cover everything, but seems to lubricate better than Rem-Oil or Hoppe's. (not so sure it beats Breakfree though).

Quick search found this web site

Never heard of this place, but thought it could be a source for those that are looking for it. Have a can at work that is a left over from years ago. Will have to take a closer look at it after reading this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back