Liquid Wrench vs. PB Blaster vs. Seafoam Deep Creep

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Lumberg:
Which one out of these three would you use in your garage for making things slide against each other better (nuts & bolt threads , etc)?

"making things slide better" ok well that'd be a lubricant and none of those. Aerokroil would be a better choice it seems to have a little bit of lube in it. If it is on a bolt I use antiseize or grease. You must adjust torque accordingly though or risk braking the bolt or nut off.

As for anything else it sort of depends on the what it is. I've used various grease, Mobil 1 spray lube, Aerokroil, lithium grease, silicone, chain, pivot/pin spray lube, etc

Let's say those were your only choices (well Advance Auto Parts Multi=Purpose Lubricant (MPL and WD-40 as well) and you needed something to tide you over until you ordered some Schaffers Penetro stuff.

as far as what I want it for I should haev been more specific: making things slide that aren't currently disposed to slide (like things that are siezed and/or rusted)

quote:

(like things that are siezed and/or rusted)

Some cautious application of heat (propane torch)and just about any penetrating lubricant. It might also be beneficial to set up some vibration via carefull appliction of a hammer blow.

quote:

Originally posted by Jakebrake:

quote:

(like things that are siezed and/or rusted)

Some cautious application of heat (propane torch)and just about any penetrating lubricant. It might also be beneficial to set up some vibration via carefull appliction of a hammer blow.

Heat it up really good with aforementioned torch, and then touch a candle to the bolt: the wax will penetrate between the bolt and nut and act as a lubricant. Also, turning the nut the other way (tightening) a little bit right before attempting to loosen it after doing this often helps.

but not brake caliper bolts. i put a little anti-seize on em the first time i did brakes...1 caliper bolt backed out and fell off.

now i use loc-tite on those lol

quote:

Originally posted by [RT] ProjUltraZ:
but not brake caliper bolts. i put a little anti-seize on em the first time i did brakes...1 caliper bolt backed out and fell off.

now i use loc-tite on those lol

Same thing happened here. Jeep Liberty. I don't remember if I used anti-sieze. I probably did because that would be usual.
One bolt fell out, and brakes began to make noise. Small bolt on the caliper slide, not a large fastener that takes much force.
Now the four of them are in with LocTite.

On those caliper bolts antyhing will be easier to loosen than rust/corrosion. Be it LokTite or antiseize. Make sure your torque 'em correctly!

I WAS not suggesting using anti-seize on any critical torque brake fastener requiring Loc-Tite.

quote:

Which one out of these three (see thread title) would you use in your garage for making things slide against each other better (nuts & bolt threads , etc)?

As stated NONE is any much of a lube and even stinkin' WD-40 (useless as a penetrant) will be a better "lube".

For a lube I've been using either Mobil 1 75W-90 or Mobil 1 grease, both of which work much better than the dino grease or one of a half a dozen other oil type lubes that I've used over the years. I still buy WD40 by the gallon for gentle cleaning/short term protection; shivels, lawn mower, hand tools, saws, etc.

quote:

Originally posted by kev99sl:
Heat it up really good with aforementioned torch, and then touch a candle to the bolt: the wax will penetrate between the bolt and nut and act as a lubricant...

I've been using my torch for the tough rusted bolts for 25 years. I just recently used the candle wax trick and it really does work! It's now part of my tool kit.

Schaeffer's Penetro 90 is the best penetrating oil plus an extreme pressure lube. Liquid Wrench is old fashioned, moderately effective as a penetrant, and cheap. B'laster PB, Kroil, and DeepCreep are better penetrants. All are better than WD-40. Penetro 90 is the only decent lube of the bunch.

I've spent 35 years working on rusted parts on steamships. I've used beeswax to penetrate threads that were too hot for penetrating oil, and used the gas axe many, many times. If the materials are different, heating then cold shocking with cold water sometimes works, but also removes the temper.

To get things to slide you need lube. It all depends on conditions. Antisieze is terrible for things that must keep moving, great for things that will be stationare until you take them apart.

Ken

I've used a case of Penetro90 and a case of Royal Purple Maxfilm®.The Penetro90 dries and leaves a white film(Teflon?).Royal Purple seems to stay wet longer.The both are tied for being the best penetrating sprays I've ever seen.The Royal Purple sprays upside down which is the only real difference.
 -

I've used JB 80 and Royal Purple MaxFilm®, and in both cases they appear to be outstanding penetrating oils and reasonably good lubricates.

The absolute best is BG Products In-Force®, but because BG Products only manufacturers products for the Industrial and Commercial industry (their products are not available to the average consumer), it might be tough to find. I have a can of In-Force® that I got from the local Toyota dealer and this stuff will absolutely penetrate anything. The tech info on the product says it is "Ion-Activated", which leads me to understand why In-Force® is so good at penetrating even those steel head bolts that an aluminum head is almost welded to. Kind of expensive though (I paid $9 for a single 14 oz aerosol can), but it works like nothing else I've ever used.

The technicians at the Toyota dealership told me they've never had anything even remotely as good as In-Force® and they also use it to lubricate door hinges and they all claimed that door squeaks go away for ever, period.

Check around with your local car dealer or repair shop, see if anyone will sell you a can, you won't be sorry.

(I don't know the BG part number, but I do know it has the name of In-Force®!)

Bearracing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back