Good Oil for Locks ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a funny topic because there are a lot of strong opinions on this. Some say use nothing but powdered graphite, others use grease.

I have had excellent results using Remoil. It is a light gun cleaning oil spray with suspended teflon. The oil is not like WD-40, it will not evaporate. I have used it in sensitive electronics with great success. The excess oil will seep out, but it leaves a thin film of oil and the teflon behind. This stuff is very slick and keeps things lubricated for a long time. I use it on all kinds of hinges and locks. I think wallyworld carries it. I haven't had to buy any in a while (years) because a little goes a long way.

I use to use graphite...hmm maybe not anymroe after reading this.

Perhaps GC would be ideal? It works great for cars!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Tones:
...I have had excellent results using Remoil. It is a light gun cleaning oil spray with suspended teflon. The oil is not like WD-40, it will not evaporate. I have used it in sensitive electronics with great success. The excess oil will seep out, but it leaves a thin film of oil and the teflon behind. This stuff is very slick and keeps things lubricated for a long time...

Perhaps I can finally put my old bottle of Slick 50 to good use!

quote:

I've heard the graphite lube isn't good for modern cars. Nowadays the locks have electrical contacts that can go buggy on you if you use the graphite lube. That's why some don't recommend it for automotive locks. I'll have to check out the triflow stuff.

I suppose it depends on the lock and where it has electric contacts?

quote:

Local locksmith shop recommended triflow, said to stay away from graphite since it gums up the lock. I had a house lock rebuilt that was worn out. It was full of chunks of graphite.

Graphite is not ideal in a moist climate, because then it actually does attract dirt. It seem to work well in dry climate. Also, not very much powdered graphite is necessary to lube the lock properly. You wouldn't want to get they key greasy each time you lock or unlock you car.

quote:

Originally posted by Kestas:
I've heard the graphite lube isn't good for modern cars. Nowadays the locks have electrical contacts that can go buggy on you if you use the graphite lube. That's why some don't recommend it for automotive locks. I'll have to check out the triflow stuff.

One more disadvantage of gadgets more bother than they are worth. I haste the power windows I got stuck with on my Cavalier. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Amsoil sells a synthetic spray grease. I've used it on locks before. I've also used the Amsoil Metal Protector but I don't think the film will last as long a grease based product.

quote:

Originally posted by MONKEYMAN:
...I had a house lock rebuilt that was worn out. It was full of chunks of graphite...

I believe graphite lube is simply graphite with a solvent carrier that dries off. A little bit of graphite is good. I suppose if you lube it too often you'll accumulate a lot of dried powder.

Probably not the issue but I've been warned to not use key rings with lots of keys because the weight can wear out the lock, going over bumps etc. Some people have lots of stuff hanging off of their key rings..... Something I never thought of until the Honda service manager pointed it out. He used the criteria that if he could hold the ignition key between thumb and forefinger it was ok.

GM Specifically recommends 5w30 on the locks and ignition of my '98 K1500. It's pretty easy to come by. I usually dip my key halfway in 5w30 and then run it in and out of the doors and ignition.

That reminds me..it's about time.

dri-slide works well in locks.
iirc it is moly in kerosene or stoddard.
and the can has a needle spout suitable for locks.

quote:

Originally posted by DNaatz:
So lotsa different advice(s) here.
My specific question relates on what's good for an ignition key that occasionally jams but always eventually starts the car.
I suggest WD40 which I have used in outside door locks and should not harm any electrical wiring it might get into - vs comments on graphite in earlier posts not being good for electrical contacts.

Any other thoughts for lubing the ignition switch tumblers?

actually it's probably not the tumblers. It's the steering lock.

You will notice that when this happens, your steering will only budge one way, meaning it is jammed in one direction. Turn the steering wheel in the direction that it WILL turn and try it. 99/100 this is the problem.

Had a friend once who had sprayed so much stuff in the lock that it wass dripping out of the steering column. I reached in, gave the wheel a yank and it fixed it. He still thinks the lock tumblers were jammed and I only "broke them loose". I highly doubt it, but it's not worth arguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back