good cleaner for my engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i want to know of a good engine cleaner that i can use on my engine. i want to use something that doesnt stink like GUNK and something that will clean the engine and i can find on the shelves at a good price. what do you reconmend?? will it hurt my belts, will it clean up the acid stains and the oil stains as well?? thanks!

Wallyworld's SuperTech is as effective as any product I have used to-date.

Grab a couple of cans and spray away.
smile.gif

[ November 01, 2002, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

I use a product called Greased Lightning. Costs about $7.00 a gallon. It really works great on everything. I bought it at Lowes Home Improvement Center. Home Depot should have it also.

how about the smell...

do i have to cover the distribitor...and do i use water or just spray on (dumb quesiton ahaha)

Digital

I currently use an orange oil type product. Currently something called "Orange TKO" works great on degreasing things in low dilution rates. At very high dilutions like 1:120 my wife uses for glass, counter tops, tubs, toilets and floors.

Look for products with D-Limonene in them. Schaffers sells two of these type products calling them Citrol and Citrol II.

By the way it smells like orange rinds. Thats not exactly true. At full strength it smells like a big pile of orange rinds. Very pleasant at a big dilution rate. Not so pleasant at low dilution rates in a closed space.

Caution these products ,at low dilution rates, will cloud some clear plastics. Don't ask how I found out. Wife still a little mad.

Digital Drifter,

Not too bad a smell as grease cutters go, and yes its water soluable, so you spray your engine down after waiting about 10 minutes.

Neil is quite right, the D-limonene cleaners do smell good and are pretty good cleaners, with that "orangy" smell.

I use a non-pumice (non-abrasive) hand cleaner with d-limonene and really like it; cuts grease and leaves the hands "oh-so-smooth."
grin.gif

i heard of that orange suff...haha sure beats simple green i think..dont like the smell..hopefully i can fidn it in stores...i heard that you have to cover ur distributer cap when you do a clean on the engine, is that true??

i just got to clean up soem tranny fluid that was left behind when i did my radiator...plus some build up of some greese....thanks ne other suggustions?

Yes do cover your distributor cap, alternator/generator, and fuse box when washing your engine compartment. If you power wash you can drive water into electrical connectors. I only use lower pressures settings,45 to 65 psi, in the engine compartment.

I don't know if you were thinking of doing the cleaning in the driveway, but remember anything that comes off your engine/undercarriage will end up on it. Then you have to clean the driveway.
Don't want to do one of these->
pat.gif
later.

o yea hu...hahah what if i go to the power wash stations and do it there...use a product and spray it then wash it off there. see really i want to go to the power wash stations but im very concerned that the temperature of the water would warp my engines head. i know that water should only be poured onto the engine when it is cold or when the engine is running, so it wont warp. i am very cautious about that. im soo skeptical that i dont even want to clean my engine because of that water..maybe if the engine is dead cold.

Well, I use the citrol
 -

All I do is spray this stuff on, let sit for just a couple min's and use a reg garden hose and spray off.

-

As for the driveway, never has left a stain. stuff just washes away. Also is biodegradable.
Citrol # 266 tech data sheet

code:

TYPICAL USES:

INDUSTRIAL PLANT DEGREASER

To degrease mill stands, plant machinery,

fork lifts, conveyors, oil cellars, tar pumps, valves.

INDUSTRIAL CLEANER

To clean floors, walls, production machinery, mobile equipment.

IN THE SHOP

To degrease engines, transmissions, motors, housings, parts

floor, walls, and to remove road tar and grime from

trucks, dozers and tractors.

WASTE TREATMENT PLANTS

To degrease, clean and deodorize lift stations, wet wells and

walls, catwalks, bar screens, sump pumps, scum pits and

troughs, transfer pipes and equipment.

FOOD PLANTS

To degrease floors, walls and production machinery in areas

where there is no possibility of contact with food,

foodstuffs and packaging.

MINING OPERATIONS

To degrease and remove open gear lubes, dirt and grime from

dipper sticks, house rails and rollers, underground

equipment and mobile equipment.

But best of all, The wife loves it around the house.. Everything from clothes(lipstick,gum,pine and road tar,road grime,crayons) to walls.

[ November 05, 2002, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

WhoA...thats a clean engine. now that stuff rocks...where can i get that...can i get it at lowes or home depot?? thats some cool stuff...

Sorry, That's that special cleaner designed and sold by Schaeffers. You're right though, stuff does rock! I have industrial plants using it to remove glue by just spraying it on and hosing it off with hot water. They use to scrape and clean the glue pots not anymore.

Only way it to order it through Tim on his (800) 737-1747. Tim is one of our site supporters that will sell this or any other Schaeffers products in less than case lots for those looking for just one or two of something.

I've had good luck with Castrol Super Clean, but the smell will knock you down for the count! Definately NOT oranges.

yea thats the stuff i want to avoid...thanks bob for letting me know about that stuff...i think ill stick to whats avalible in stores...im just really concerned that on a hot engine..spraying water will hurt it. thats why i refuse to go to a power wash station...id like to do it when it is cold...might just find that orange stuff and give it a whirl...i want to spray the under part of my car also because i have a leak and i dont know if its tranny fluid or oil or both..

Has anyone used a product called Floway from Kano Labs (the company that makes Kroil). What I liked about it is they stated it doesn't harm paint and leaves a protective coating.

Thanks for your comments.

I'm a clean freak and all my engines are spotless. They are so clean my buddies can't help but tease me.

When I bought my '99 Crown Vic Police Car you couldn't even see the motor it was so filthy.

Normally I only use Simple Green. Here is what I do...

1) Warm the motor up just a bit (maybe idle the car for 3 to 5 minutes from stone cold). 2) Wet the motor with water. 3) Liberally spray on Simple Green 4) Wait about 15 minutes, brush any major deposits 5) Repeat a few times if the motor is nasty 6) Dry off what you can get with a towel and then go for a ride. The heat will dry everything off nicely

Very occasionally I will also use a product called "Oil Eater" that I get at Costco. Generally, the Simple Green is all I need. Simple Green is great stuff but you need to wet the motor first -- it is water activated.

Flowaway from Kano works GREAT!!! Smells pleasantly solventy, but cuts through the thickest tar. I get it when I buy my Kroil. Most of the time I will admit I use Simple Green neat, and it cuts oils/grease with ease, but in close quarters it makes me all chokey - like asthma or something. The smell is wintergreen I think...it goes away in 3 days or so
lol.gif

[ December 08, 2002, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back