Simple Green vs Orange Blast (Grease Lightning)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any preferences between the two? I've used both and I think the Orange Blast is by far a better degreaser, but for cleaning the engine, Simple Green might be safer of the engine. Any ideas?

I have been cleaning my engines for over 10 years now with Simple Green, (cold engine only), and they both look like new. I will stick with what works. Bill T.

I dunno about performance. But I sure like the smell of the orange stuff. Simple green in close quarters makes me have breathing difficulties, all wheezy like.

I have in the past degreased cars from stem to stern immaculately, like a virgin, with Simple Green. I mean oily, greasy, beaters looked like new when I was done. The Simple Green smell hangs on for a few days, though. And I would get plenty of fresh air.

The Orange stuff I have simply not used it on an entire car. I few spots and it seemed to work OK, nothing miraculous - maybe equal to Simple Green.

One thing for sure, both are better than the nasty old "Gunk" spray foamy or not....To think 20 - 30 years ago I used to use that solvent stuff. Smelled for a week or three.

Buster,

A can of Amsoil "Power Foam" used on a warm engine will work much better than simple green. It washes off cleanly with water, but it is solvent based. For really baked on grime, I use an old paintbrush to gently scrub the stuff off.

You have to be careful with the alkaline detergent cleaners, as they tend to oxidize aluminum parts.

Tooslick

Thanks guys. I'll consider the Power foam. I wanted to clean by hand though so I'm thinking the power foam might not be a good choice.

For sure NEVER use Castrol Purple on aluminum. It will etch the shiite out of Al.

Never used Amsoil Powerfoam, I must admit, because Simple Green and the Orange stuff are so cheap and work so well.

i have used simple green on my cars and they are spotless it doesn't even remove dust!! i stopped using simple green....i use either gunk but mostly i use bg's endine degreaser.....is there something iam not doing right when i use simple green?

Castrol works pretty good, but the acid in it eats your hands, irritates your eyes, and can etch soft metals if left on too long. Orange blast works OK.......better than simple green IMO. Schaeffer's citrol is probably the best I have tried.....It works better than castrol, and does not irritate my eyes, or eat my skin.

Actual Castrol doesn't contain any acid. It's KOH, potassium hydroxide. Pretty stong I might add. Yes it will ecth aluminum (and magnesium).

Not sure why Simple Green doesn't remove grease for you. I use it at full concentration from the 1.25 gallon Costco jug, diluting it with water makes it useless. Sometimes it takes a little brushing, sometimes it takes two applications, but simply apply, allow to soak for awhile and hose off.

The Castrol Cleaner, I don't think it is acidic but rather a strong base. Like Fantastik only stronger. Probably a strong sodium hydroxide solution, that'll do in the aluminium

So is the Orange Blast stuff bad for Aluminum? I"ve used it before and never ran into any problems with it. I rinsed it off fairly fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back