WD40 What is in it??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work for a company that manufactures rocket engines (including the space shuttle main engines). Years ago we used a lot of WD40. We had a rash of problems with bad welds on welded assemblys which were eventualy traced to WD40 haveing impregnating the metal and causing cracking and porosity. It was found that WD40 could not be intirely removed no matter how powerfull a cleaning process was used. Since that time WD40 has been banned from the factory.
Our labs say that it contains silicones which are a no-no around welding. WD40 says no silicone in formula. Oh well, whats a mother to do. We use Amsoil spray and Kroil spray.

Bob

Part of the reason I have never bought my first can of WD-40 is that they don't say what is in it. I use a lot of silicone spray and grease. I know where not to use them too. If I don't know what is in WD-40, how do I know where not to use it?

When solvent-type stuff is applied to a gunky thing, the gunk will be dissolved and will STAY there becoming thicker and thicker gunk as volatiles go away, unless wiped or flushed away by a superfluity of solvent. Freshly dissolved gunk will flow into tight spaces (like gun mechanisms) where it cannot be wiped away. It will stay there, a mix of your original gunk and whatever feeble lubricant you've added, as in the case of WD40. I use it with an awareness of its limitations.

My experience with WD-40 is that it's crap. Want to make something rust? Take a well lubed and protected item and spray it down with WD-40, making sure to get the WD to penentrate. Now leave it sit a while.

The solvent in the WD strips off all the quality lube leaving a thin film of non-lubricating, non-lasting, non-protective oil in it's place.

I banished it from my house...

Exactly, It's a temporary lubricant and mild cleaner at best. But look how many people out there keep trying to use it as a penatrating oil!
mad.gif

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back