3 to 1 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What weight is 3 to 1 oil they sell in a bottle at walmart? I put it in the ports of electric motors. This is a little off the car topic but I would find it helpful

[ June 19, 2003, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: huxley7 ]

I have a can of 3 in 1 oil that says it is 20w oil. I'm not sure if there are different versions of it though, I have another can that does not say what weight it is.

Wow I just had a problem with a fan motor on an old dehumidifier. I always used 3in 1 to fill the oil tubes, one day the motor froze up, more like a severe tighting, so out came lil' Red, after two days of working it in it still was too tight to turn freely and the can was empty. So I filled it with Amsoil ATM and tried some more, a day later it spun better than new. Maybe it was the esters, maybe it wasn't.

Joe

While it's not 3 in 1 oil, the factory oil for my heating boiler circulation pump was causing the bearings to seize and ruining the pump, no matter how often you used the factory oil. Last time this began to happen, you can tell by the noise in the pump and the baseboard, I used some old leftover Castrol Syntec 5W-50 and it quieted the bearings and I have not had any problems or noise, it's been over 3 years! I still relube the bearings with the leftover old Syntec, but not my vehicles
wink.gif

Whimsey

I use Penetro 90 and never worry about any of it. Comes in a spray can so easy to put it where I need it. Best stuff I've ever used and I've used a bunch. Even today, air tool draging and wouldn't even start to spin, sprayed outside of bearing and shot some in the air line, and problem went away.

I have used Kroil for years. Whatever it is made from it is a great penetrating oil.

patriot.gif
cheers.gif

Most electric motor manufacturers suggest a SAE 20 weight ND oil.

Also, I can vouch for what Bob said about Penetro 90 as well for electric motors. Spray it at the beginning of the year and forget it till next year.

I,m using it on farm equipment and whatever else needs oiled,i'ts outstanding,I find it penetrates about like Buster or Kroil but this stuff is like a grease without the thickener

Four Ball Wear Test (ASTM D-4172)(40 kg/1200 rpm/1hr/167°F)

Scar Diameter 0.45

Four Ball EP Test (ASTM D-2783)
Weld Point, 400 kgs

Load Wear Index 72.85

Timken EP Test (ASTM D-2782)
Ok Load, lbs.65 lbs.

Most electric motor manufacturers suggest a SAE 20 weight ND oil. Where can you buy oil like this? Does walmart carry it?

[ June 20, 2003, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: huxley ]

The best electric motor oil I've found is Royal Purple Synfilm GT ISO 68. You can order it off the web.

quote:

Originally posted by huxley:
Most electric motor manufacturers suggest a SAE 20 weight ND oil. Where can you buy oil like this? Does walmart carry it?

quote:

Penetro 90 is that like wd-40?

Like WD-40 on steroids.Penetro 90 held such a good film on the timken,Bob had to hold the back of the machine-down while I pushed the lever.Try that with WD-40!
I call this product "Schaeffers' cocaine".You give somebody a can of this,next time you see them it's the same question ."What else does this company have?"
HOOKED!

Mark

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
Molakule and Bob, you'd use Penetro 90 on motors, is that what you're saying?

In a NEW YORK MINITE!. I use that stuff on everything. What many people don't know is that parts of the ingredients of penetro is used in the motor oil as well from what the company tells me. Obviously not as concentrated.

Like Mark said, it's adictive. One of the weakest problems with rust busters is they do not lubricate, like pb blaster, great rust buster but no lubrication, so when turning the rusted bolt, the rust down the thread hangs and causes the bolt to get hot and normally shear off the head. Penetro leaves an oil film all the way down the thread as well bust the rust.

I've seen and heard some very interesting stories on this product. I've personally have had many great experiences with this stuff as well.

[ June 20, 2003, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

quote:

Some people I talk to tell me to use zoom spout oil?

Well,I'd recommend that if it works for you , then you should go with it. But if you find you have some things that don't do as well as you like, I can say that you might consider trying some other stuff as there is more to a rust buster/lubricant spray than meets the eye from what I've learned and I think even Mola and Mark would agree that they may have learned that as well once they got their hands on the penetro.

[ June 20, 2003, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back