Mobil 1 Synthetic Spray Lubricant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used this stuff? Here is the data sheet for it.
M1 Spray lubricant

Seems like a good idea, sort of like WD40 only it's synthetic. It's listed on the Mobil 1 site, but I looked at a few parts stores locally and nobody stocks it.

Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

[ August 23, 2002, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

I am indeed biased, but I find the Mobil 1 spray the greatest thing since a pocket on a shirt! The great part of it is that the Mobil 1 spray does not draw dust and dirt to the lubricated piece. (as WD40 does!) The surface reactivity is quite low with its synthetic base stock, thus making it very long lasting. We use it for everything from roll-up doors in reefer units (keeps them rolling easy even at -20 and prevents corrosion) to bicycle chains, etc.
If you can't find the Mobil 1 spray locally, it is available online at www.avlube.com/ or at Bob's front page "order" page under ExxonMobil.
George Morrison

Obviously You've never had your hands on the penetro 90!

just wondering the TD sheet shows it has Performance Measure

Mobil 1 Synthetic Spray Lubricant outperforms the leading conventional spray lubricant in several key tests:

Mobil 1 Synthetic Spray Lubricant provides superior wear protection as measured by the 4-Ball test.
Mobil 1 Synthetic Spray Lubricant provides four times the load carrying capability as measured by the Falex and Timken Load Carrying Capacity tests.

Where's the #'s? can you get them.

the 190 has them and was wondering how they did conpare.

Isn't that a hoot Bob? Mobil talking about 4 ball wear?? I will see if I can get them for you for comparison. It really is neat stuff. Certainly blows away WD-40 (kerosene with perfrume).. Did you know what about WD-40 is patented? It is the perfume enhancer! NOT the formula for the WD-40 itself. (do I smell kerosene?)
Have you ever held a lighter in front of a WD-40 spray? Blowtorch city.
WD-40 is a great Briggs & Stratten engine starting fluid; gives a 'wet' start and works great. Much better than regular starting fluid/ether..
George

I seldom find anyone with a can of WD40 laying around. PB blaster is the big contender here, that and Buster.

questions...

Did you know what WD stand for?, Water Despersant

PB Blaster, great rust buster, No lubrication properties, in fact, will destroy any lubrication. also, will eat straight through a coffee cup and mess up any seals it come in contact with. Has no timken strength.

BUSTER, Neat product. Has CAS#'s all over the can. Guy demo's this with a light, and a 5gal bucket of water.

He sprays this stuff over the light, socket and everything attached, puts in to bucket full of water, turns on the light while in the bucket, then sticks his hand into the water.

Point? hey, it dispurses water and keeps rust off parts. can work under water? oh, yeah, tears a coffee cup up like pb blaster., one thing else, 9.00 per can. ouch!

One last thing on buster, stuff has awsome barrier additive and does really well on a timken machine. It's the trycloro floro carbon or some sort that has been outlawed and not made anymore that does this plating and has been known to be highly carsenginic.

I ordered some of the Mobil 1 spray from George on his recommendation. So for it has done everything he said it will do. I am pleased with it.

We have talked a lot on this site about marketing. I cannot think of a better example than WD 40. What a waste of money, IMHO.

WD-40 sucks and just about any decent spray lubricant will look like a "miracle" product when compared with WD-40.

I cleaned a few small bolts on a wire wheel, sprayed them with WD-40 and left them in a cabinet. 4 months later, they were rusted again.
rolleyes.gif

A couple years ago I bought a can of Valvoline Synpower spray lube. Other than the slightly thick consistency, this stuff is great. But, like I said before anything will look great compared to WD-40.
tongue.gif

--- Bror Jace

Hey WD-40 is great for two things that I know of:

1) It's a great bug and tar remover and doesn't arm paint (in my experience)

2) It's pretty good at removing adhesive from stickers.

Isn't WD-40 just kerosene in a can with some stuff to make it smell unique???

I was thinking exactly the same thing, satterfi. Motorcycles have o-ring chains that have lubricant inside them, so you think in terms of conditioning the o-rings and not in terms of lubing the chain. WD-40 is a great o-ring conditioner and it displaces water so you can apply it right after cleaning the bike and chain.
It's also very cheap.

It does attract dirt though, and for that reason I'd be willing to give the Mobil1 spray lube a try. George, would it condition o-rings?

When I said that WD-40 sucks ... I was talking about it's ability to lubricate and prevent corrosion. As a cleaner and moisture displacer, it may be okelly dokelly.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

Bror,

Agreed, as a lubricant, WD 40 is pathetic.

It's good for cleaning and not much else.

Regarding Mobil 1 conditioning O rings.. I do not know.. I would imagine it to be fairly neutral, as PAO's are; neither swell nor shrink... Leave it to this site, it is a question I have never been asked about Mobil 1 spray! For once I do not have an answer... :)
George Morrison

I have had some success with WD 40 on ignition components, since it is a water displacer.

I once had 1982 S-10 4-banger that lost power in very humid weather. Put up with this pain for about 30,000 miles since Chev-ro-let-it-ride could never find the problem. Problem disappeared each time it sat overnight in the dealers garage.

On one cold, humid night, I fired the engine up and saw the problem. A faint glow between the extremely long spark plug boots and the heads. In some cases, I could see arcing. I pulled wires and cleaned off spark plugs and sprayed inside of boots and top of spark plugs with WD40. End of problem. Much of the electrical energy to plug gap was being dissapated in the glow and arcing. And oh yes, found the boots were partially conductive as well, as verified by a Megger.

As a lubricant, notta!

MolaKule,
You are my hero, as you are the first person in 10 years that I have found that knows what a Megger is and not only that, knows how to use it. I had to prove to Licensed electricians that they had a floating ground and not ONE knew what a Megger was when I asked.
offtopic.gif

I used a megger to check AC motors all the time.
Don't have one myself, but aint nothing to them.

Always had to make sure they were calibrated on a resistor bridge prior to use as per ISO standards.

I also use and like the Mobil 1 spray lube.

I also use and LOVE Boeing Bo-shield T9. This stuff is killer for all kinds of stuff and it is my favorite for lubing and leaving a nice "protective" film.

I get it locally at a Marine supply store. http://www.boeshield.com/

WD40 works just fine in my house at quieting the hinges on the doors when they get squeaky!
tongue.gif

But that's about all it's good for!
smile.gif

[ August 25, 2002, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Patman, for light lubricating jobs like squeaky hinges, I put some ATF in empty eye-drops bottles and use that instead.

It costs next to nothing and I hate wasting my money on under-performing products like WD-40.
mad.gif

And, if you gathered up enough little bottles, you could always experiment with ATFs, oil additives, motor oils, gear oils, etc ... to see which is the best for simple household jobs ... make a little hobby out of it.
smile.gif

Naahhh, none of us would do something like that.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

[ August 25, 2002, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Bror Jace ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back