Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on car's paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was cleaning the kitchen today and I wondered if anyone has used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on their car's paint?

I know it can do wonders for wheels and other sufaces. It's an amazing product, one of the best cleaning products I've ever used in fact. If you've never tried one, you need to. I have no idea how they work, they just do.

Well, I tried it a little while ago on a white car with no clearcoat with just plain water and it didn't seem to do a thing. Next experiment will be with some sort of soap. . .

Have you ever even seen a Magic Eraser?

If you've never tried one on a car's paint then you're not adding anything to this "discussion".

I asked if anyone has tried it. If you don't know anything about something then why comment? It's nothing like a pencil eraser.

I used it with a soapy solution to remove bugs from the front of my ride. Although I was easy with it many tiny marks were left on the paint. I had to polish them out by machine with an automotive polish. I won't make the mistake again. I suggest you limit its use to chrome or glass.

I used to think Magic Eraser was "the bomb" for removing crayons/marks on walls. Last week my 2-year old took a black crayon to our walls, doors, and a desk. Oh no -- I didn't have a Magic Eraser in the house. I took a baby wipe (generic brand), and it performed just was well as the Magic Eraser -- at <5% of the cost.

I have used it a lil on my truck. but I read on the Mr clean magic eraser website that a guy used it on his car and the clearcoat pealed. but others have posted it worked great on their cars paint. I just use it on my glass as it gets rid of the waterspots and all on there and the bugs. also on the box it says not to use on car paint. so there has to be a reason to that. btu they never say what it would do to it. I would think if you used it lightly and washed the area emediatly after wards . shouldnt do no harm. but dont quote me on that.

quote:

Originally posted by stogiedude:
Have you ever even seen a Magic Eraser?

If you've never tried one on a car's paint then you're not adding anything to this "discussion".

I asked if anyone has tried it. If you don't know anything about something then why comment? It's nothing like a pencil eraser.

I have used them. In fact I use them to clean marks off my cars upolstry, but I wouldn't use it on the paint. It works exactly the same as a pencil eraser, it's just not as abrasive. Used enough, it will wear away your clearcoat and/or paint.

The eraser is made of melamine foam, which is kind of like hard stiff microfibre, and that is how it can clean well, it is an abrasive.
The paint on your walls at home is being abraded off to reveal a fresh (clean) layer. Your car's finish can but should not be treated in the same way.

I've used the Mr. Clean eraser to clean bugs off the bumper on my VW GTI. This was before I actually thought about why it works so well. I won't use it again, but it didn't seem to hurt anything the one time I did use it.......but then again, I'm not a clean/wax/polish freak, either. I'm fine with a few scratches & such on my car. I realize most folks are not this way.
smile.gif

I haven't used it on paint, but on black trim it's absolutely incredible and restores it to like new condition.

I would hesitate to use it on paint unless you have tree sap/bird dung that won't come off any other way and will cause more long term harm than the Eraser.

I had my first experience with the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser just last night. We had a black mark (from a boot) on some baseboard in our house. The mark would not come off with a wet towel so I broke out the Magic Eraser and turns out that I could have acheived the same results with some 800 grit sandpaper.

It took the black mark off the baseboard and before I knew it I could see bare wood. So, I should have quit 'erasing' a little sooner than I did, and now I have some touch-up painting to do.

Just thought that I'd share my 2 cents. It is definitely an abrasive and one would probably want to limit its use on fine finishes like car paint.

Ive used Mr Clean M.E. in my engine bay, works great at cleaning the metal surfaces, but it does remove paint marks on bare metal, like timing marks and marks on bolt heads...so I can see how this could be detrimental to painted finishes...kinda like wet sanding/polishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back