Are tire & dash protectants good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got some Goodyear dashboard wipes and some tire dressing from another brand. Are they good for the materials? I've read some things that say that Armor-All is bad for plastics, though I'm not using that brand. Also, are they likely to leave my dashboard too shiny?

Too shiny is usually what people like. There are other products that leave the dash less shiny. Armor-All has a product that leaves the dash less shiny. I usually like to cut the products that I use with water so that there is a little less shine. I other words, I spray the interior dressing onto a sponge/applicator that is already damp with water and then I apply to the dash, trim, tires etc. I also use a leather cleaner/dressing on the dash and interior trim for a less shiny surface. I like this best! Even on vinal and plastics. Another free tip.

I've heard on and off for years that Armor All is bad for dashboards, but have never seen any definitive proof that Armor All is what caused their problems. Armor All has been a brand used by me and my entire family since I was a kid..on dashes and all other plastic / vinyl interior parts, tires, exterior rubber, etc and none of us have ever experienced anything bad from it. I love Armor All Ultra Shine on my tires, but it's a pain to use because it only comes in a spray. I find tire foams to be much easier to apply. I like low-gloss Armor All on the interior parts, as it doesn't cause sun glare and seems to attract less dust.
As far as other products....I'm currently using Black Magic trigger spray tire shine in my bedliner. Nissan is having a problem with their Frontier bedliners turning white from exposure, and the silicone and other conditioners are keeping it nice and black. I like Black Magic tire foam on the tires, and regular Armor-all on exterior rubber pieces.

There are many products for the interior and tires. I use FK1 108 Top Kote for the interior, can also be used on tires. Right now I'm using Adams "KnockOut" which is not made anymore on my tires. Other products to consider Optimum Protectant Plus, Optimum Tire Shine, 1Z Cockpit Premium, 1Z Vinyl-Rubber Care Protectant, Werkstatt Satin Prot.

Oil based products are bad...water based is good.

Meguiars NXT interior stuff is very shiney and smells great...their Interior Detailer is very dry, cleans well and smells clean, works great on the stearing wheel and dash.

Some of the tire dressings actually degrade the tires. It depends on what's in the particular dressing. I can't remember what the bad ingredients are. As far as I know, all the vinyl protectants are safe. I'm very pleased with and have had real good luck with the Turtle Wax F21 Super Protectant on vinyl and plastic (it can also be used on rubber and leather). It makes the surface look like new and lasts about a year on interior vinyl and plastics and at least 6 months on the hard vinyl cladding that's on the bumpers and the whole lower outside part of my wife's Subaru Forester

Aerospace 303 is excellent for the interior as it has low gloss and high UV protection. Boat stores, Outdoor sporting goods stores and auto Uphostery shops may have it.

[ July 28, 2006, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Go_Hogs_Go ]

I got slack on wiping the dash with protectant and now have a lovely crack about five inches long up by the windshield.
frown.gif

A tip for applying the water based stuff:

Use a dishwashing wand. Fill the handle with the protectant, wet the sponge and wring it out pretty good, get the fluid flowing to the sponge and "presto", very little mess. Not recommended for dash or interior, just tires and exterior trim.

Markc Why does protectant look ridiculous? Too much shine, too dark or some other reason? In my case, I like tires to be dark, but not have very much shine. IMO, the colored or sparkly tire finishes do look very strange.

Also, some "protectants" have UV protection which should help keep tires from some damage.

[ July 28, 2006, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Russell ]

quote:

Originally posted by Vuser:
I got slack on wiping the dash with protectant and now have a lovely crack about five inches long up by the windshield.
frown.gif

Heard that from alot of people.From people who own Fords they told me to use only Motorcraft products for dash use only.Otherwise the dash will crack.

quote:

Originally posted by MarkC:
I can understand (and I do) use protectant on the interior, but why put it on tires? It looks ridiculous.

I agree, although there is an exception, 303. It gives the tires a nice deep black look, without that glossy look of many store bought protectants

Yeah, I just don't like the glossy, shiny, "look at my tires" look. Plus, they get dirty fast here anyway, and I'm not gonna be spraying every few days, even if I like the shiny look. As long as the Vehicle itself is clean, I'm happy.

About the dash, I just want to know if the wipes will cause me problems wih glare from the sun. My Corolla's dash is tan-colored cheap hard plastic if that's relevant.

riker1384, Aerospace 303 is ideal for your dash. Low gloss with UV protection. I use it on my tan BMW dash because of low glare etc.

303 or Armor All Original Shine would work just fine.

The AA is water-based now...you can tell which protectants have "bad silicone" in them because they're all clear...protectants that won't hurt your tires or dash will look milky and white...
smile.gif

I personally have been using Meguiar's Prof. #40 Protectant on my dash with great results...satin sheen and UV protection for much less $$$ than 303, plus it cleans too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back