Apply wax with buffer, remove by hand...correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering opinions on this subject. This is how I do it. You always see the kids dry-buffing like crazy with the machine. I think a lil hand work without a ton of dry-buffing is best.

Most waxes will go on very easily by hand on a properly prepaired paint surface; that is the paint has been clay bar'd, then the use of 3M SMR (or similar swirl mark remover, like meguiars swirl remover 2.0), then 3M IHG (or similar glaze/pure polish like meguiars #7, or P21s GEPC), then wax (such as blitz grand one, or meguiars #26). Do the clay and polish step before you wax and you will be amazed at how easily the wax goes on (and how little wax you'l actually need).

Using a good microfiber cloth to remove the wax and other stuff will help tremendously. If you have a costco near you, they have 12 packs of yellow microfibers that are actually of very good quality for only $8.49 (take off the tags on the cloths so they don't scratch your paint).

But if you are using a machine, go with the least abrasive pad availible, a gray foam pad. ProperAutoCare.com The reason I'd stay away from using a machine to put on wax is that it is applying it in a circular motion that could introduce swirl marks, versus back and forth motions which generally don't produce [visible] swirls.

i put (paste) wax on by hand, then remove it with an orbital buffer. even after the buffer i have to go around with a microfiber cloth and clean it up.

I like to use an orbital buffer to apply the wax, and remove by hand with micro fiber towels.

Darryl
patriot.gif

here is another vote for: Apply with orbital, remove with microfiber by hand.

If you want to remove it with an orbital you need something like Meguirars "Ultimate Bonnet" on the link below. I have heard lots of good things about them.
Meguiars Ultimate Bonnet

I'm sorry, but an orbital buffer just doesn't cut it for removing wax.

Unless your panels are super flat you're usually only using about half of the surface of the buffer. The little shaking action isn't going to remove the wax well. It's easy and faster to do it by hand.

With all the cars I've detailed and how long it takes me to do one, I would be using the buffer if it was easier and produced better results. Heck, it takes me 9 hours to do the outside of my truck and another 1 to 4 to do the inside. It takes roughly 6 hours for a large car and 4 hours for a small car.

quote:

Originally posted by darkdan:

Unless your panels are super flat you're usually only using about half of the surface of the buffer. The little shaking action isn't going to remove the wax well. It's easy and faster to do it by hand.

With all the cars I've detailed and how long it takes me to do one, I would be using the buffer if it was easier and produced better results. Heck, it takes me 9 hours to do the outside of my truck and another 1 to 4 to do the inside. It takes roughly 6 hours for a large car and 4 hours for a small car.

A porter cable machine (like the 7424) is, I think, essential to a good detail on a car. The results you can achieve with a PC are very hard to get by hand, such as removing swirls.

I don't have a PC right now, but plan to get one.

By hand, and with a full detail, it takes me about an hour and a half per step; clay bar, swirl remover, then glaze/polish, then wax.

I am thinking about trying Klasse AIO, I've seen great results with this.

quote:

Yes I agree if you are talking about an "Orbital Buffer" you get at wal-mart for $19.99 but I should have spoke a little better as "ChrisW" said a Porter Cable 7424 is the only way to go if you are talking orbital polishers for both applying and removing wax(with the ultimate bonnet).

After my truck is washed it takes 4-5 hours to do 3 steps(Cleaner/Polish/Wax) with my Porter Cable.

I've used PCs before. I don't remember the number. I think it was a 6" buffer. Didn't try to remove the wax with it, but it worked great for applying it!

Whew! Dawn, claybar, clearcoat polish, body-shop glaze and Meguire's #26. I have a medium-green (Catcus green) 1998 Audi Avant. I will do a 2nd coat of #26 soon and again in Fall. 6 hours, easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back