2002 Dodge Cummins Diesel; Amsoil 5W-30 HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
These results are great. The filter is performing well and the soot/solids levels are very low.

The Iron reading is normal for the miles on this sample and the rate at which it's being produced is normal for such a low-mileage Cummins engine.

I see no reason why you can't run this oil out to 10-15K on the same oil and filter.

You can run this oil three times this long with no problem, given the TBN and stable viscosity. The Fe wear rate will tend to drop over time, so I don't think you'll see 40 ppm after 15k miles. This formulation has about 3-4 ppm of silicone in the additive package as an antifoam agent, so you have no dirt to speak of.

This oil looks very clean for an application that doesn't have a bypass filter. I see no issues at all here and the filters are doing an excellent job. The Amsoil 15w-40 may be the more cost effective oil for this application and this climate, however.

TS

Thanks for the comments. TooSlick, I appreciate the silicone information regarding this oil's formulation. The air boxes for these trucks, 1998-2002, are notorious for poor sealing. It looks like the K&N sealing grease I put on the edges of the dirt side of the filter box helped. Looks like the Fleetguard filter itself did a good job as well.

Also, I was concerned about the iron being 42ppm after 15k based on this analysis. The 5W-30 viscosity is not specifically recommended for this engine and climate.

I recently changed this oil and filter due to the very hot summers we have here and also because I started driving the truck 500 miles a week right after I took the sample. I'm back to the Amsoil 15w-40 AME product.

This is my first oil analysis on a vehicle that I’ve owned since new; I welcome any comments. The vehicle is a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500HD Quad Cab with a Cummins 5.9 liter, 24 valve, turbo engine and auto tranny. The truck is driven about 50-50 stop & go and freeway. A Fleetguard panel type air filter was used in the OEM air filter box. This filter differs from the Mopar version in that it doesn’t have the foam pre-filter on the bottom. The oil filter used is a Donaldson ELF full flow with no bypass filtration. Ambient temperature ranged from the mid 20’s to 100 degrees F during the sample period.

The lab was Oil Analyzers Inc. and their analysis recommendation was no corrective action required, oil is suitable for continued use. Resample at next regular interval

Previous oil used was Amsoil HD Diesel & Marine 15w-40 (AME). Previous oil and filters were changed at 6 months and/or 7500 miles. My concerns are the iron @14; the silicon @3 and the copper @7. These numbers are for 4979 miles; I was hoping to go 10k miles on the oil but it looks like I will have to settle for 7500k. My primary reason for trying this oil was to see if my fuel mileage would improve any; unfortunately it didn’t improve enough to justify the cost of the oil.

OIL USED: AMSOIL 5W-30 HDD
MILES ON SAMPLE: 4979
MILES ON TRUCK: 38484
IRON: 14
CHROMIUM: 1
LEAD: 4
COPPER: 7
TIN: 0
ALUMINUM: 2
NICKEL: 0
SILVER: 0
SILICON: 3
BORON: 1
SODIUM: 0
MAGNESIUM: 27
CALCIUM: 3985
BARIUM: 0
PHOSPHORUS: 1229
ZINC: 1639
MOLYBDENUM: 0
TITANIUM: 0
VANADIUM: 0
POTASSIUM: 0
FUEL - % VOL VIS @ 40C , cSt NA
VIS @ 100 C, cSt 11.37
WATER: 0
SOOT/SOLIDS - %WT 0.1
COOLANT: NO
TBN: 10.33
OXID: 14.0
NITR: 7.0
F-SOOT: 0.01

brian, the above is my first uoa. I plan to do a sample on the AME at 5k miles which will be about the same as for the HDD. I'm curious too about the wear number comparison. I will post the results on the board.

Brian,

You can see why Amsoil states this is their most robust additive package. In this case the high level of ZnDTP is also being used to inhibit oxidation over long service intervals, as well as provide wear protection. The newer EGR equipped diesels dump lots of junk back into the oil and oxidize the oil that much faster. The high level of detergent/dispersant additives, ie Ca and Mg, is to handle the severe soot loading in these newer engines.

I believe batch data for this oil is generally running about 11.5 cst @ 100C. So this sample hasn't sheared at all after 5000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back