'05 Smart CDI, 5600 Miles, Mobil 1 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
First UOA on this car. Should I be concerned about this type of wear. The oil was changed at the manufacturers recommended interval. Looking for your expert advice. Thanks.

Results:
Smart Fortwo, 0.8L CDI, 5600 Miles on oil, 11900 Miles on car.

Tested by Blackstone

Aluminum 15
Chromium 9
Iron 296
Copper 6
Lead 2
Tin 0
Molybdenum 65
Nickel 2
Manganese 2
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 0
Boron 107
Silicon 14
Sodium 6
Magnesium 27
Calcium 2665
Barium 0
Phosphorus 791
Zinc 903

Fuel < 0.5
Viscosity_SUS @ 210F = 73.8
Flashpoint 440
Water 0
Antifreeze 0
Insolubles 0.5

TBN = 4.0

WOW!! Yeah, that's kind of a lot of iron. It's weird because everything else looks perfect. Was this car left alone and not driven for a long period of time? I ask because I analyzed the oil in a motorcycle that had sat for a year or two and it had crazy amounts of iron. I would probably sample the oil you're running now around 2000 miles and see if iron looks normal, or if it appears to be on it's way to looking outrageous like this. If it looks bad, have it looked into by the dealer. How much oil does this thing hold?

The car was driven normally for about 7 Months thru Winter and Spring. The car holds 2.7L of oil. The Manufactuer recommended fill is M1 0W40 which was used on this sample.

wow, very high...

Very small sump and likely a very stressed engine i suppose would cause some of this.

Test error might be part of the issue...

And a Terry interpretation will be worth more than anything else, IMO. Id sample more often and take issue with the dealer if it keeps up.

JMH

I'll be doing another sample in the next month. I've also go some other smart owners sending in a sample to get some baseline. After that, I'll decide what steps to take. You never know, maybe this is normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back