'06 GMC Duramax factory fill 1457 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never done a UOA this early before in an engine's life, but thought I'd send it in to Blackstone out of curiosity. Needless to say, the numbers are alot better than I expected. I was a little skeptical of the low numbers at first, but after searching for other factory fill results here in the diesel UOA section, I don't think they're too out of line.
dunno.gif

Aluminum: 1
Chromium: 0
Iron: 3
Copper: 20
Lead: 2
Tin: 1
Moly: 0
Potassium: 3
Boron: 1
Silicon: 48
Calcium: 1465
Magnesium: 164
Phosphorus: 698
Zinc: 775
Barium: 2

SUS@210: 73.8
Flashpoint: 405
Fuel: Insolubles: TR
All others: 0

90% of my miles are long highway drives, 150-350 miles at a time.

No TBN because there is no way I'm paying Blackstone an extra $10 with only 1457 miles on the oil.
tongue.gif

I had always heard that GM used Mobil Delvac 1300 Super as the factory fill, but the additives in this oil don't match any of the UOAs with Delvac 1300 on my previous truck, & this looks pretty weak to me for a HDEO.

cheers.gif

I don't really know why, but I always like seeing UOA's on factory fill. The good news here is that there appears to be surprisingly little wear for the break in period. Who knows if that copper nummber is wear or gasket material. (I bet Terry knows). That silicon nummber though seems way off. I would follow the trend there, see if it's filtration related or break in related. If I might add, the add pack in this oil seems really weak, especially for a diesel. But like I said earlier, the wear numbers don't seem negatively affected.

The high silicon content early on in duramax engines comes from the gasket material they use for the oil pan. The higher copper content is coming from the oil cooler. Both of these numbers will come down over time.

My 03 duramax was a very good wearing engine, i hated to sell the truck, but needed a crew cab so I bought a 06.

Off subject I rode in a 06 crew cab from Redding Calif. to Humbolt Bay Calif., imo ugly winding road climbing and decending anyway ,what a nice truck,and the trip average feul mileage was 17.4 mpg .This is with under 1,000 miles on the odometer at the finish of the trip. Real good mpg.

dmproske, my 04 Duramax was a great wearing engine too, but like you, I needed to move up to a crew cab.

Steve S, I'd love to make that trip from Redding to Humboldt Bay in my truck. I actually drove most of that route a few years ago (from Crescent City to Sacramento) in a Buick rental. I could smell the brake pads a few times.
grin.gif

I'm up in the 19-20 MPG range on long Interstate drives now with about 11k miles on the truck. Not quite up there with the 04, but it's getting close. Love the 6-speed auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back