62 Peterbilt, NT280 cummins. No other info. *gulp*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drained this from the old truck I bought. No known history on the truck or oil.

BLACKSTONE says.
"Oil samples have been known to get contaminated outside the engine, but if it wasn't then the Potassium and Soidium show trace of Antifreeze in the oil. Normally at this slight level it won't affect wear, but it really depends on where it's getting in. Wear from your Cummins read at above average levels from the lower end. Upper cylinder metals ok. Watch for signs of a problem like coolant loss or white smoke. If this oil was run a very short interval, the problem may be more severe than we think.

TBN 2.9"

It appears to me that the previous owner drove the truck into the ground! Didn't fix anything, probly never changed the oil.

Engine is the original engine although I'm sure it has been rebuilt a few times. Truck runs good. Trace of coolant must be from the liners? Last registered in 1998. I'm sure this oil was atleast 8 yrs old!

IMHO If it leaked that itty bit of coolant in 8 years I'm not going to worry too much about it just yet. No white smoke or coolant loss. Although I don't drive it much untill I get it registered.

When I got the truck it had mud in the cooling system. I drained it and put in some Barr's stop leak, 1/2 gallon of Nalcool, 4 gallons of antifreeze and 6 gallons of distilled water. Maybe this will help to stop the tiny leak?

Aluminum-6
Chromium-2
Iron-71
Copper-28
Lead-11
tin-1
moly-3
Nickle-1
Manganese-5
Silver-0
Titanium-0
Potassium--11
Boron-29
Silicon -7 !
Sodium--29
Calcium-1517
Magensium-29
Phos-897
Zinc-1039
Barium-4

I have a 1-day permit to move it. I may run it across town this weekend to the truckstop and get it changed again. I missed an oil filter when I changed it........Didn't know that it had 2.

[ February 09, 2006, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Chris142 ]

Chris

I'm far from an oil guru, but your UOA doesn't seem that bad considering. It sounds like the oil has been in there for quite a while. I'd change it out with some cheap dino a few times, then put in something decent.

Hope you got a good deal on the Peterbilt.

Ya I replaced the oil with "Coastal 15w-40". I drove the truck today and after sitting it runs rough and blew a little bit of wet carbon out the exhaust.

I put 100 miles on it and it ran good. I'm still working on my 2-stick shifting skills though.

Definatly gettin coolant in a cylinder. The truck is just a toy for now. Some guys fix up Chevy's, Dodges and Fords. I'm doing a Peterbilt!

I only gave $3500 for the thing which included delivering it to me.

The potassium and sodium are very low and could have come from anywhere, even wiping the dipstick with a coolant soaked rag. I'd do as suggested and run a couple short flush OCI's then put a reasonable amount of miles on it and send in another sample.

I have a van that I just discovered a coolant leak on. The leak was very small and took tens of thousands of miles for me to notice any drop in the coolant level in the resevoir. The UOA showed 400ppm potassium, so 11 is barely anything. 29ppm sodium is high but remember some oils have sodium in the right from brand new as part of the additive package.

Good news! Someone musta added oil using an antifreeze jug. This oil was only in for 125 miles but over 2 months so I assume any coolant would have showed up in this sample.

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back