Dodge Sprinter/ Mercedes 2.7 turbo diesel/ T&SUV/Redline/ Power Service/ VSOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had my 1st UOA done by Blackstone. I can't drag the report into the message window, so I'll have to type it out.

Equipment make : 04 Dodge Sprinter
Engine Mercedes Benz 2.7 CDI Turbo Diesel 154 HP
Miles on engine 18, 700
Miles on oil 3,000
Oil 8 1/2 quarts 5w-40 T&SUV, 1 quart 15w-40 Redline, 16 oz Power Services Diesel Extender, 4 oz VSOT. 4 months on oil, winter driving. Gently driven, rarely over 2500 RPM. Stock oil filter, no by pass, totally stock except for oil pan heater which is always plugged in during cold temps. Usually run 2%-5% bio diesel.

Blackstone wrote: No problem that your mixing oils. The unusual mix has left you with a viscosity solidly in the 15W-40 range, and this brew seems to be working well in your Sprinter. Note the very low wear levels when compaired to the universal averages for this engine. The TBN reads 12.2 lots and lots of active additive in the oil. We didn't have enough oil to test the flash, but I suspect it was fine. Suggest 3000 miles to this oil and resample to monitor.

Aluminum 4........... universal average 32
Chromiom 0 ............ 3
Iron 7............ 46
Copper 1............ 4
Lead 0 .......... 1
Moly 100 ........ 46
Nickel 0......... 1
Manganese 0......... 1
Silver 0 ........ 0
Titanium 0 ...... 0
Potassium 0 ......... 3
Boron 48......... 61
Silicon 5 .......... 7
Sodium 2.......... 3
Calcium 3200 ........ 2760
Magnesium 472 ........ 268
Phosphorus 1440 ....... 1056
Zinc 1717.......... 1249
Barium 0 ........ 0

Vis @ 250 F 73.6
Insolubles 0.5

I started using LC a month ago. I drained 16 0z of my oil, and put in 16 oz of LC. I'm not sure how this effected my UOA. I know 3000 miles is early to test this oil, but I wanted to see what my brew looked like on paper.

Can I expect my wear metals to double from what they are now at 6,000 miles ? Or triple from where the are now at 9,000 ? Probably no way to tell. The 3000 was mostly short 10-15 mile trips with a few hundred miles put on twice.

When Blackstone talked about universal averages, they didn't mention the average miles on the oil.

How does this oil look at 3000 ?

Any input would be welcome.

[ February 07, 2006, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: savvy ]

Looks like commentary on UOA's are becoming as rare as hen's teeth. I guess I'll comment on my own UOA then.

Q. What oil did you use before the TSUV/Redline mix.
A. M1 0=40 was original fill. I've been running Delvac 1, then 5w-40 T&SUV since 1500 miles.

Q. Your solids seem high, what do yo attribute that to ?
A. I've been running straight Delvac-T&SUV since 1500 miles. This oil chance I added the Redline along with Lube Control. I think the new brew is cleaning the engine better. I'll watch my solids during my next chance to see if they decrease.

Q. I see your Viscosity is 73.6 @ 250 F, is that a typo ?
A. Yes, temp should be 210 F.

Q. Do you understand that one UOA means nothing, and it's trending that matters.
A. Yes, trending is important but one UOA is important in that it gives a snap shot about what is going on in the engine. A good first UOA is meaningful.

Q. How long will you run the oil.
A. I'll be conservative because of the RL and LC. I'll change out probably at 8 - 9,000. I don't intend to have another UOA on this oil. I just wanted to see my wear numbers and adds in this mix.

Comment : Great report.
Response : Thank you.

Vetteman

Your a good man. Thanks for the input. I'll consider what you've said about not going over .5 insolubles. I bought the PS extender for make up oil, but my engine doesn't consume any. I thought why not toss some in with the next oil change and see what happens.

I bought 4 bottles of VSOT for the moly and other adds. Then I decided I wanted some Redline 15w-40 in the mix. Together this brew has bumped me into 15w-40, which is really where I would rather be anyway. I thought sodium was the anti-foam agent, but if you say silicon...... silicon it is. I have no issues with idle romping, just a nice constant gnarly idle that says you better buckle up before you put it in gear.

So there you have it, the 1st unofficial Savvy Brew!

Thanks again for the advice.

Best wishes.

Antifoamant shows up as silicon. The sodium shows up as part of the additive package. Not sure which chemical shows as sodium. I flunked HS Chemistry. (Physics was my forte)

If you want a brew, I like the Mobil 1 Truck/SUV at 6 quarts and 2 quarts of Red Line 15W40. With that brew the steering wheel will jump out of your hand.
cheers.gif
I have seen a couple UOA's with straight 15W40 Red Line and it was not impressive. But when added at about 25% or less it appears to be terrific. (I am talking diesels only, as I use straight RL in my wifes gasser). I don't like to use the thick additives until needed. I have used Specialty Lubes SX-UP with excellent results, but I was not using it as a thickner. It is not that heavy, just an additive that will make your engine think it is on steroids.

smile.gif

I've already decided to add 2 quarts of Redline to my next oil change. I also have the feeling that adding 25% or less is better than using 100% Redline in a diesel.

On a side note: I just replaced my differential oil with Redline 80w-140, and my trans fluid with Redline High Temp Dexron III.

.........Redline sure is slippery stuff.

Savvy,

Excellent report. I personally don't go over .5 on insolubles even with low wear metals. Not sure why you keep adding the VSOT and the Power Services extender, but I will never argue with the very low wear. Wear metals don't necessarily double with double the mileage. In fact there generally seems to be a reduction or leveling of the wear metals. JMO\

Just a personal observation, your Silicon is only 5 PPM. In a diesel oil part of this number is an anti-foam agent. So factoring in a small amount for dirt and a small amount for anti-foam agent, if you get a weird idle or romps, change oil or add anti-foam to the oil. I am not really sure how this engine acts to low anti-foam. May not even be a concern.

0 fuel in your OCA. WOW!!... I wish the 6.0L PSD could do that..lol..

I'm surprised that Schaeffers 9000 5W-40 was not recommend over M1.

Nice OCA Savvy...

On a side note, how do you like your van and what kind of MPG are you getting?

Morning Mettech :

I can't say enough good things about my Sprinter. I've heard that a few other Sprinter owners have had some issues, but some owners tend to really beat their vehicle. I've seen some Sprinters in truck stops used for expediting that looked like they belong in the junk yard rather than on the road.

I get at least 22 city and 27 highway, with an average of 24-25 mpg. Some Sprinter owners report less mileage though. It depends on how you drive your vehicle. I have the 158" w.b. with some nice features. One of the best things about the Sprinter besides the massive room and the beefy engine and tranny is the driving experience. It reminds me more of flying a plane. The side and forward visibility is second to none for a truck or van in it's class. The rear view mirrors are much better than anything I've seen on other vehicles. The steering is power rack and pinion and handles like a sports car.

If you ever consider buying one let me know. There are some useful features you will want that don't come standard. As a side note to my UOA, I'm not so sure about my insolubles @ .5 just a hunch that if the number is accurate, the insolubles are more benign than not.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my UOA.

Nice report. I'd go a lot farther on the next OCI. If insoluables are a concern, change the oil filter halfway through the OCI.

Thanks for the advice. I have a Mann fleece filter, which is 2 1/2" x 4 1/2 "

After I got the UOA done, I removed the filter and cut it to pieces, looking for anything that didn't look like the filter.......I didn't find anything. Then I drained about two quarts of oil, and ran that through several coffee filters to see if anything showed up........nothing.

My oil is a dark grey, but very opaque. I'm not sure where the .5 insolubles came from on the report. Maybe it was a mistake. Changing filters half way through an OCI sounds like good advice if solids are a concern.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back