Oil Analyzers
9532 Miles on Oil
162,000 Miles on Engine
90% Highway 10% City
Wix oil filter
Oil Analyzers
Stock Air Filter
No oil Added

Greetings. Below are my first UOA results with this car. During the sample I replaced the oil filter and topped off using 1.5 quarts and will sample again at another 10K miles.

Any remarks are welcomed.

Thanks

Iron 37
Chromium 4
Lead 9
Copper 8
Tin 0
Aluminum 9
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 6
Boron 2
Sodium 7
Magnesium 62
Calcium 3105
Barium 0
Phosphorus 1160
Zinc 1397
Molybodenum 2
Titanium 0
Vanadium 0
Potassium 0

Fuel Vis @ 40C N/A
VIS @ 100C 15.50
Water 0
Soot .4
Glycol NEG

TBN 6.20
OXID 12
NITR 15
F-Soot .41

No corrective action required. Oil is suitable for continued use. Resample at next regular interval.

That looks very good. I know that there are at least 2 people who go 25,000 mile OCIs on their TDIs. If that was my oil sample, I'd change the filter, top off with a little oil and resample after another 5k miles.

Thanks Drew. Thats what I have done. I changed the filter, top off oil, and will go another 10K.

personally, if my TDI had 160k+ and was returning a Fe wear rate of 3.9ppm / 1000 miles i'd stick with 10k OCIs.

i would only be comfortable extending OCIs if the Fe wear rate at 10k UOA tested to between 2 and 3ppm / 1000 miles after 10k and closer to 2 would make me most comfortable. numbers like these are common with "well used" TDIs in the 100 to 250+k ODO range.

15.5 seems thick (relatively) for an oil with so little soot. it's still within the 40 weight range, but as a guy that likes to run 30 weight oils in his TDI, i would not be comfortable with a heavy 40 weight.

Hey thanks guys for the helpful info.

I wouldn't mind going to the 30w oil but from my research I find FE levels higher with those people using 30w in the TDI.

So for now I will wait another 10k and sample again.

Rex, I tried Amsoil's SAE30/10W-30 in my TDI and it was disappointing. I submitted my analysis numbers to a lubricant designer in Germany and he explained to me what was taking place inside of my engine. Here are my numbers:

Miles on oil: 5,000
Miles on engine: 150,000
time in service: 3 months

If not listed then the value is zero:

Iron: 24
Copp: 3
Alum: 7
Silic: 5
Boron: 2
Sodium: 7
Magnes: 108
Calciu: 3665
Phosph: 1135
Zinc: 1614

Fuel: Vis @ 100ºC: 13.31
Soot/Solids: .4% by wt.

TBN: 8.54
Oxid: 23
Nitr: 11
F-soot: .48

The lubricant designer had no knowledge of the brand and he pointed out that the formulation was lacking in several types of additive and even commented that it appeared to be a poorly designed lubricant for a diesel engine.

I am completely amazed at what a true lubricant designer can tell from a oil analysis because he was spot-on with regard to the engine condition.

Yeah, thats why I'll be sticking with the Amsoil 5w 40.

The 30W seems a bit too thin for these engines.

Thanks for posting your results.

quote:

I submitted my analysis numbers to a lubricant designer in Germany and he explained to me what was taking place inside of my engine........The lubricant designer had no knowledge of the brand and he pointed out that the formulation was lacking in several types of additive and even commented that it appeared to be a poorly designed lubricant for a diesel engine.

Was he a bit more specific? I'm really curious about what he said. What is lacking?

quote:

Yeah, thats why I'll be sticking with the Amsoil 5w 40.

The 30W seems a bit too thin for these engines.

VW doesn't seem to think so. there are over sixty (yes 60) VW 505.00 approved 30 weights, and all new VW diesel oil specs are 30 weight (506.01 and 507.00).

but, not all 30 weights are created equal. 506.01 and 507.00 approved oils are tested to exceed phenomenal anti-wear and extended drain specifications.

i've been using 506.01/507.00 oils in my 04 TDI with excellent results. the 0w-30 506.01 Elf Evoltion CRV is currently in my engine and IMO it's an excellent choice.

aside from this, i still think your TDI with its current setup is NOT a good candidate for extending the drain interval - based on the ODO, the Fe wear rate, and viscosity.

i'd change the oil now, retest after another 10k, and if these numbers don't improve either stick with 10k OCIs or make some change (different oil, add bypass/increase system oil volume) to create a more optimal situation for extending your drain intervals.

TBN = 6.20

TBN went from 12 to 6 in 10k miles. You really think the oil will last another 10k miles?

BTW - what is the lowest the TBN should go before you should change it?

Don't think that is the best choice for this engine anyways, you ought to be running the 5w-30HDD if you want a true diesel oil for your TDI.

Rex, I think closer to 5 to 7 K is left on the oil. Oil Analyzers Inc. just sent out a very informative guide to oil analysis to its customers.

They state that when the oil reaches a >2 it's time to change and you will be starting to raise close to a 50wt. oil in the next 5 K. Just to be safe do a 5 to 7 K analysis.

Vowvay, I don't buy the lacking in additives in the Amsoil 10-30/30 wt. It's been around for a long time, your 5 K numbers are great and I have real world experience with this oil.....360K and pushing on my 6.9.....Most of this engines life was on Amsoil 30wt. with 25K OCI's

Rex, this is why we do oil analysis. Buster and others confirmed that you are doing a great job of extended oil changes and protecting your engine. Your well within the safe range on ALL your analysis numbers
worshippy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back