Motul Technosynthese 505.01 spec 2004 VW Jetta TDI PD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my first UOA for this car. Thanks to George and the good folks at AV Lube for the analysis.
2004 VW Jetta TDI PD
Miles on car: 40,259
Miles on oil: 10,205
Oil: Motul Technosynthese 505.01 spec 5W-40

Iron 68
Chromium 2
Lead 3
Copper 11
Tin 0
Aluminum 8
Nickel 1
Silver 0
Silicon 4
Boron 1
Sodium 8
Potassium 5
Magnesium 10
Calcium 2632
Phosphorus 944
Zinc 1034
Molybdenum 0
Fuel A
Water Glycol N
Viscosity @100c 14.3
Soot 0.6
Oxidation 15.00
Nitration 10.00

Comments: "Wear and contamination levels appear normal. No corrective action indicated by tests performed. Continue normal PM and sample interval."

My comments: I'm wondering about the Iron and Copper levels. TBN is very high too. Is the 100c visc the result of soot thickening? No makeup oil was added/needed during the test interval. Oil consumption has been zero since 20k miles. Fuel used was almost exclusively BP #2 diesel with 4oz. Stanadyne Performance Formula per tankful. This car delivers exceptional mileage even for a TDI. I normally get 55 miles per gallon, but have achieved 60 with very conservative driving habits.
I welcome any comments from the gallery at large.
Thanks

Looks good to me. What is the TBN? Viscosity looks perfect. Solid 40wt.

a4
You're iron and copper numbers may go down as you rack up the miles. Mine did in my 02.
Great numbers for the fuel.
I used to get that mileage before I switched to Bridgestone's Turanza LS-H tires. Now I'm high forties all around, and fifty-five in ideal conditions.
What tire/ pressure configuration are you using?

Chi
I do expect the FE and CU to drop with more miles. Iron is a little higher than I expected, but this is still a good report nonetheless. My tires are the OEM Michelin MX-4 Energies ("15"). Being a "green" tire, they do deliver good mileage with a quiet ride. Unfortunately, they don't seem to wear well and are expensive to replace. I'll be lucky to get 45k out of them. I'll go with Pirelli P-400s next, since I have had very good luck with them on another car. My pressures are 42 front, and 40 rear. Other members of our local TDI club have experienced similar wear when using the factory-recommended tire pressure, so I'm sure that the increased pressure I'm using is not a factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back