Royal Purple 15W40, 6.2K miles, w/SX-UP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Royal Purple 15W40 was installed in my 1995 PSD on 3/1/04 and I took a sample at 3,200 miles on the oil and changed the FF and bypass filter. I then added 2 quarts of oil (FF holds 2 quarts) and 16 ounces of SF SX-UP. (16 quart capacity) I then ran this oil for 3,000 more miles and did the latest sample and changed, so a total of 6.2K miles on the oil plus 18 months. Motorcraft Full Flow, Paper Air Cleaner, Turbo, and chipped.

code:

9/7/05 2/25/05

Copper 8 6

Iron 16 13

Cr 0 0

Nickel 0 0

Silver 0 0

Lead 1 1

Tin 2 0

Alum 4 4

Silicon 6 4

Sodium 1 2

Potassium 2 5

Moly 143 139

Boron 12 4

Barium 1 0

Calcium 3523 3626

Mg 17 17

Phos 1205 1318

Antimony 71 Not tested

Zinc 1431 1494

Soot 18 Not tested

ZDDP(depletion) 0.03 0.05

Viscosity 13.1 (40W) 12.8 (40W)

Ferrous Debris 14 11

Fuel/Water/Anti-Freeze--Zero both times

[ September 10, 2005, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Looks good. Oil is in grade and wear metals are good. I like that add pack they are using. Any TBN #?
smile.gif
Nice dose of Moly too BTW.

Buster,

I did not get TBN on either report. I suspect this oil could have gone another 18 months before changing, but I wanted to use some left-over oil for a new test.

I am now running 11 quarts of Delvac 1300S and 5 quarts of Mobil 1 Truck/SUV with 4 ounces of Schaeffers 132. I will sample this at 3K and then run it until 6K. This is my poor mans Semi-Synthetic test.

smile.gif

59, we must think alike, I was considering doing a similar mix after completing the rinse phase of ARX with Castrol Tection Extra on a 2001 PSD. Only using LC20 instead of the SXUP since that is what is on hand .

Yes, remind me to wear my 3 layer nomex race suit and helmet next time I take a ride with the maniac driving! Gee whiz, Its not a corvette ...it has more tq.

TD

FYI, the soot level is 9% on a 199 CAT, FTIR absorbance scale, thats low. Stinky was allowing 100 -160% on certain applications to give the reader an idea of cleanliness here.

My 6.0 PSD lets you know it's running, especially with the 4" turbo back exhaust, air intake, and the catalytic converter that happened to fall off somewhere down the road
grin.gif

The TBN booster, anti-oxidants, and anti-shear compounds in SX-UP should keep the viscosity pretty stable, I.E., keep it from shearing and keep it from thickening.

I find it interesting that that the iron level rose only 3 ppm in 3k miles. That's about 1ppm/1k or less.

Vetteman, did you notice any "subjective" seat-of-the-pants improvements in performance?

Thanks,

Mola

MK,

I noticed immediately the engine response from idle on up to max power had a nice improvement, and the engine noise was diminished. I was really impressed with the overall results of the engine operation and the low wear. One member of the Board has ridden in this truck and was amazed at the low noise and the power response especially up hills. Another member of this board heard the engine run at my house and it was quieter than his 6.0 diesel.
smile.gif

I have no idea what is in RP, but yes some of the AW/AO Sb did come from the SX-UP.

And we do add a bit of extra Anti-foamant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back