04 Ford 6.0 PSD 22,111 miles on sample Red Line 15W40/5W30 mix ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
My soft metal wear rate continues to rise at a rate quicker than what I'm comfortable with while using Red line. I wound up dumping the Red Line after 25,000 miles and putting in the Mobil 1 5W-40 Truck & SUV (I spoke with a Mobil 1 tech rep and he told me to save the money on Delvac 1 and buy the Truck & SUV because it's the same oil). I keep seeing great UOA's with the Delvac 1 so I decided to give it a shot.

Another thing that surprises me about the elevated soft metal wear is that I've actually added eight quarts of makeup oil in the 22K miles so I expected to show less soft metal wear with my recent analysis because of fresh oil top off.

By the way, I'm running a Motor Guard bypass filter so I'm hoping to keep this oil in for a longer period of time than the Red Line.

I used Oil Analyzers for the first time so there isn't any past trend info. to reference. Here is a UOA link that shows my past three analysis' (the latest UOA that shows the elevated lead was where the Red Line starts): http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?u0bb=get_topic;f=26;t=000195
 -

[ May 08, 2006, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Go_Hogs_Go ]

Go Hogs,

The fuel in the oil is what you are seeing on your MotorGuard element. If you can post the picture here of the element that shows how to spot fuel in the oil on a TP bypass element.

smile.gif

Here is the roll of TP that I removed from the Motor Guard tonight. It's not as bad as that one roll that I emailed you about a few weeks ago.

You can still see where moisture, or fuel is being absorbed up top. My fuel dilution is at 1%, which isn't bad. I'ts amazing as to how TP is sort of like litmus paper.

-

Thanks for posting that one. I just wanted everyone to see what fuel dilution or water does to TP. It is a quick way to get an analysis on the spot, but only for water/fuel.

By the way, I changed the one on my 95 today and it was 100% perfect on top, no water/fuel. I am sending in the sample tommorow for analysis.

smile.gif

Go Hogs Go, seems the Amsoil HDD 05w/30 gave the best results so far. What do you think? I really enjoy your uoas as I don't put enough miles on anything I own to see your kind results in a timley manor. Are the wear numbers that bad?

[ September 07, 2005, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
Go Hogs Go, seems the Amsoil HDD 05w/30 gave the best results so far. What do you think? I really enjoy your uoas as I don't put enough miles on anything I own to see your kind results in a timley manor. Are the wear numbers that bad?

They aren't THAT bad, but the soft metals aren't subsiding like I had hoped (they keep climbing at a rate faster than the Fe). My first analysis with Red Line had around 7K on the oil and my lead was higher than usual, but was acceptable.

Between the analysis at 7K and the analysis at 22K miles on the Red Line there were six quarts drained out of my system from a hollow bolt install and I put six quarts of new Red Line in the crankcase (there have been a total of 8 qts. makeup added since the RL was put in my truck).

I thought for sure since I drained six qts. out during the hollow bolt install and replaced with fresh that my levels would have AT LEAST leveled off, instead of increasing like they have.

To answer your question RE: Amsoil HDD 5W30......w/o a doubt the oil performed d@mn well in my truck, in fact it was the best UOA that I've had. I have a feeling that I'll see a good UOA with the M1 T & SUV (Delvac 1) if it's anything like everyone else's UOA's with the stuff.

I came real close to ordering some of the AME 15W40, but wanted to change my oil before the weekend (the Amsoil would have arrived on Friday, which would have been too late considering I'm headed out of town on Friday).

The M1 T & SUV is a Group IV oil so I figured I couldn't go wrong with it considering all of the excellent Delvac 1 UOA's that I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back