Delvac 1 5w-40 -5000kms- '05 OM662

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
this UOA is the first on a new engine. The factory fill oil was a MB229.1-MB229.3 Approved product of Ssangyong Oil, Korea. It was changed after 2270kms, 1410 miles, when the drive line components and PS were changed to synthetic lubricants - Castrol Syntrax 75w-90 and Transmax Z
An OEM MANN licenced oil filter was used

The engine was new so it is obviously still bedding in. Operational use has been primarily 70% highway with off road at 25% and urban at 5%
Engine revs were restricted to 3500rpm up to the OC point. Then they were restricted to 4000rpm up to 5000kms. The engine's red line is at 4500rpm

The oil will now be changed according to regular UOA results using these limits: Soot 2.5%, Iron 70ppm, TBN 2, and/or any other significant oil degradation factor. A time limit of 15 months will be applied too. The engine will operate in an ambient range from -5C to 45+C with much of it off road

The Manufacturer's recommended OCIs are; first OC at 5000kms and then OCs at 10000km intervals using MB229.1 or MB229.3 Approved and Listed lubricants

Oil Delvac 1 5w40
Date 18th Aug 2005
Speedo 7270kms,4500 miles
Oil 5000kms,3000 miles
Make up Nil

Al 3
Cr 1
Fe 25
Cu 26
Pb 8

Sodium 1
Potassium 2
Silicon 7
Nitration 5

Vis @ 40C 96cSt
Fuel 0.0
Water 0.05%
Soot 0.4%
PQ Index TBN to D4739 9.3

Your comments are welcome

Doug

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:
Hi,
this UOA is the first on a new engine. The factory fill oil was a MB229.1-MB229.3 Approved product of Ssangyong Oil, Korea. It was changed after 2270kms, 1410 miles, when the drive line components and PS were changed to synthetic lubricants - Castrol Syntrax 75w-90 and Transmax Z
An OEM MANN licenced oil filter was used

The engine was new so it is obviously still bedding in. Operational use has been primarily 70% highway with off road at 25% and urban at 5%
Engine revs were restricted to 3500rpm up to the OC point. Then they were restricted to 4000rpm up to 5000kms. The engine's red line is at 4500rpm

The oil will now be changed according to regular UOA results using these limits: Soot 2.5%, Iron 70ppm, TBN 2, and/or any other significant oil degradation factor. A time limit of 15 months will be applied too. The engine will operate in an ambient range from -5C to 45+C with much of it off road

The Manufacturer's recommended OCIs are; first OC at 5000kms and then OCs at 10000km intervals using MB229.1 or MB229.3 Approved and Listed lubricants

Oil Delvac 1 5w40
Date 18th Aug 2005
Speedo 7270kms,4500 miles
Oil 5000kms,3000 miles
Make up Nil

Al 3
Cr 1
Fe 25
Cu 26
Pb 8

Sodium 1
Potassium 2
Silicon 7
Nitration 5

Vis @ 40C 96cSt
Fuel 0.0
Water 0.05%
Soot 0.4%
PQ Index TBN to D4739 9.3

Your comments are welcome

Doug

Where is the Viscosity at 100c?

Hammer

Hi,
Hammer - the viscosity is never measured at 100C by Mobil's Lab. and it has never been in the near decade I have been getting UOAs done there
Strange but true! And I pay for my UOAs too

Gurka - I am comfortable with the iron (and CU) level
a) Delvac's Virgin UOA has iron around 7 and,
b) about near 1 litre of old oil remains at change because of the oil cooler's location

The next UOA will start to produce a trend

Thanks for your comments
cheers.gif

Doug

quote:

Hi,
Hammer - the viscosity is never measured at 100C by Mobil's Lab. and it has never been in the near decade I have been getting UOAs done there
Strange but true! And I pay for my UOAs too

The next UOA will start to produce a trend

Thanks for your comments
cheers.gif

Doug

That's just crazy! IMO, the viscosity at 100c is much more important then the viscosity at 40c except when it comes to cold starts. I wonder why they don't test it?

Hammer

Hi,
Hammer you said:
"That's just crazy! IMO, the viscosity at 100c is much more important then the viscosity at 40c except when it comes to cold starts."

Obviously Mobil don't think so and as stated earlier do not use it (vis. @ 100C) in their "Trend Analysis Programme". Our ambient spread in OZ is from about -20C to 50C+. Most(about 19 million) of the population however live in areas where -5C to 42C are the prevailing temperatures

I have never queried their (Mobil's) logic - I do question the comments on their UOAs though!
Castrol's Lab only checks viscosity at 40C too as I recall

Gurka - the large engine oil's cooler is mounted below the radiator in full air flow and behind a vented undertray. The intercooler is mounted in front of the radiator

Doug

quote:

Hi,
Hammer you said:
"That's just crazy! IMO, the viscosity at 100c is much more important then the viscosity at 40c except when it comes to cold starts."

Obviously Mobil don't think so and as stated earlier do not use it (vis. @ 100C) in their "Trend Analysis Programme". Our ambient spread in OZ is from about -20C to 50C+. Most(about 19 million) of the population however live in areas where -5C to 42C are the prevailing temperatures

I have never queried their (Mobil's) logic - I do question the comments on their UOAs though!
Castrol's Lab only checks viscosity at 40C too as I recall

Gurka - the large engine oil's cooler is mounted below the radiator in full air flow and behind a vented undertray. The intercooler is mounted in front of the radiator

Doug

It has nothing to do with your outside temps. It has to do with the viscosity of your oil at it's running temperature. Without knwoing the vis@100c, we do not truly know if it has sheared down a grade at it's normal operating temperature. Does that make sense?

Hammer

Doug

What am I missing here? According to Mobil's site, Delvac 1 meets MB 228.5, but isn't listed for 229.1 or 229.3.

You sure you're not using a non-approved oil in this application? You're usually so particular!

Just teasin'
JJ

Hi,
JJ - you got it!

I was actually going to use M1 0w-40 but it just adds another oil to the inventory and what I have is only for my Benz under warranty
The Importer here has cleared the oil (Delvac 1) for warranty via Korea - I think Ssangyong Oil Co is actually owned by the Esso-Mobil combine and has been for many years

I also knew that Delvac 1 (or T&SUV) is the popular choice of many MB diesel owners who run turbo/intercooled flat cam engines. This is most probably because of its excellent soot handling abilities

I also used it in some Mazda Bravo 2.5 turbo/intercoled diesel Utes I had, and again it keeps the inventory in control

Vancouver - a great spot. Son No 2 (35) is a regular skiing visitor (Whistler/Jasper) and has just completed a Kayak adventure with some friends from Juneau to Vancouver. A stop or two including Admirality Island, Endicot Arm, Petersburg etc on the way. Saw lots of whales, seals and a few bears too (perhaps after a few beers?)

Regards
Doug

Hi,
Hammer;
I have just spent some time with the authoritive Engineering people at two Oil Companies. And in summary these comments may be of interest to you

Mobil - They check viscosity at 40C as a routine and will only check it at 100c if an "issue" is detected. It has to do with a number of things such as their published data points used by them, the ambient, the client and the application
Of course checking it at both 40c and 100C enables the VI to be determined
They see either point as a starting point and 40C is theirs! It is as simple as that and as I thought

They both re-iterated my comments on UOAS in a general sense - a single UOA will only provide;

a) an oil condition "snapshot"
b) a data point for trending wear metal movements
c) evidence of possible engine fault(s)
d) evidence of "out of normal" wear metal spike(s)
e) evidence of use of an incorrect lubricant
and etc.

Doug

The effects of soot and oxidation induced, lubricant thickening tends to increase at low temps, so it makes more sense to check viscosity change at 40C then at 100C.

If the viscosity change (+/-) @ 40C is small, you're in good shape. In case you were wondering, polymeric thickeners DO affect the kinematic viscosity @ 40C. So you would also catch any shearing effects with this test....

Doug

Sorry I missed your reply last week - travel intervened!

I couldn't imagine you'd be using an oil that didn't meet the manufacturer's warranty specs. Delvac 1 probably meets many more specs than are on the label, but if its not tested, you're kinda stuck.

Vancouver's a wonderful part of the world to live in - I'm sure your son enjoys it - if he talks you into visiting, track me down! The official language in Whistler is Australian, of course - they outnumber everyone else there. Can't imagine why... I did a Perth/Canberra/Sydney tour back a month or so ago myself - didn't get up north, though!

Cheers
JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back