Magnesium 9 7
Phosph. 1184 1228
Zinc 1704 1342
Barium 0 0

Sus visc@210 77.0
Flashpoint 435
Fuel Antifreeze & water 0
Insolubles 0.3

That has to be the highest reading of Moly i have seen in Delo 400 yet, unless an additive was used in the OCI to spike the number. Well done.

This was the third change with the new Delo. I didn't add any makeup oil or any other additives. I will probably start changing at 5000 mile intervals and do an analysis once a year. I'm happy with the Delo.

Delo 400 and Delvac Super are indeed the best values out there in the market, for those needing an alternate to expensive synths, these two can't be beat.

I think some credit has to go to the Duramax also. I drive a '95 Ford PSD DIT. I can't generate the kinds of wear numbers with Delo 400 that this Duramax does.

What kind of driving did you do during this OCI, wlkjr? Most of my driving is in town, in a 12 minute town, with my work place only a mile away from home. My driving scenario is really hard on wear numbers for a PSD. What were your driving conditions, wlkjr?

Well, that seemed to have gone unanwered.

Ah, well . . .

Gurkha:

I just scored a couple of 6 gallon cases of Delvac 1300 Super at $1.16/qt. I'm good for about a year and a half of oil changes with my '95 F250 Powerstroke DIT with this purchase.

What has been your experience with the Delvac 1300 series 15W-40 oils? In what type vehicles do you use this oil and Delo 400?

Bob A. (Pacific Northwest, USA)

Bob A,

I use Delvac Super as well as Delo 400 on my OM 616 turbo engine as well as HINO normally aspirated engine, the OM 616 turbo is used on the Indian made G Wagen clone called Gurkha and the HINO is used in 1969 Nissan Patrol replica, mine is 1997 model, the last year it was made for the military, the civilians got the HINO engine.

My experience driving in 55C weather with both Delvac Super and Delo 400 has been truly excellent, I have also taken my vehicle to Leh and it performed well there too in -15c/-20c weather there. Now I primarily use Delo 400 as Mobil in India took off the Delvac Super and replaced it with Delvac MX which is a fine oil in itself but can't match Delvac Super or Delo 400's summer performance. I change my oil at 6500 mile interval or six months, whichever comes first, my HINO has 2,78000 miles on it with no oil consumption and my OM 616 turbo with 58000 miles also has no consumption problems.

Thanks for your response Gurkha. The reason I asked about Delvac 1300 is because Delo 400 is the only oil I've used in my '95 F250 Turbo Diesel Ford pickup. I bought the rig at 95,000 miles. It now has close to 150,000 miles, all on Delo.

I haven't been unhappy with Delo 400, but I have been interested in trying some other oils just because . . . well, you know . . . there's always the prospect of another oil being just that much better than the one I'm currently using. I have read a lot of posts on BITOG extolling the virtues of Delvac 1300, so I'd thought I'd ask.

Do you experience any differences in fuel efficiency between Delo and Delvac? How about wear numbers (assuming you do UOAs)? Engine noise?

Thanks again for your response.

Bob A.

Bob A.,

UOA are not that easy or cheap to do here in India, however, both Delo 400 and Delvac Super gave me great results with my UOA on 240D and 300TD MB cars in US, it was easy to stretch either of them to 8000 miles and mind you, then they both were CH rated, I am sure the newer CI-4+ would do even better, about MPG, I have always got better results with Delo 400 over Delvac Super but then we are talking a 5% difference max, not much more. About wear numbers, I still have a 500,000+ OM 616 running, this one ran on Delo 400 here in India, the 240D I have in US is still running with my friend, he has crossed 460,000 miles with it, that vehicle was run on a mix of Delvac Super or Delo 400, whichever I could get, remember, back in the 80s, it was hard to get either in NY, I had to go to truck stops in upstate NY or NJ to get either of them.

Bob A, sorry for the delay in answering your question as I haven't logged in for a while.
Most of the driving during this interval was normal commuting to work of about 50 miles and around town with two trips of approximately 800 miles each towing a 7000# travel trailer. I usually pull at about 70 mph on the interstates.

quote:

Originally posted by Bob A.:
Thanks for your response Gurkha. The reason I asked about Delvac 1300 is because Delo 400 is the only oil I've used in my '95 F250 Turbo Diesel Ford pickup. I bought the rig at 95,000 miles. It now has close to 150,000 miles, all on Delo.

I haven't been unhappy with Delo 400, but I have been interested in trying some other oils just because . . . well, you know . . . there's always the prospect of another oil being just that much better than the one I'm currently using. I have read a lot of posts on BITOG extolling the virtues of Delvac 1300, so I'd thought I'd ask.

Do you experience any differences in fuel efficiency between Delo and Delvac? How about wear numbers (assuming you do UOAs)? Engine noise?

Thanks again for your response.

Bob A.

I doubt any oil is much better than Delo. Unless you go with syn oils for the cold cranking.

Thanks for your responses, Gurkha and wlkjr. Your info. is appreciated. I'll post a UOA for Delo 400/7.3L Ford PSD combo. here in a couple more months. We'll see how this CI-4+ does in my '95 DIT.

Bob A.

Steve S, with his observation about Delo 400, has prompted a question which I have wanted to ask for quite awhile, but until now have forgotten to do so.

Chevron refers to their Supreme and Delo series oils as "Isosyn". Anybody know what Isosyn really is? Is it just a marketing phrase/ploy, or is there actually something technically different with its structure and/or formulations than other oils?

I'm curious because their respective UOA results (Delo and Suppreme varieties) are generally pretty tough to beat. For instance, I just got back UOA results for Chev Supreme 5W-30 oil run in my '02 2.5L Outback boxer engine. I haven't seen any other UOA results, including the Mobil, Castrol and Amsoil synthethics, that are better than my last Chev Supreme test.

Just curious to know if "Isosyn" is truly something different -- and if not, why are Chevron oils typically among the best performers? (Assuming someone knows . . . )
dunno.gif

Bob A.

Isosyn is Chevron's patented process in which they get rid of the wax and water in regular mineral oil thereby giving them equivalent performance closer to synthetics, one of the reason for its good results in extended OCI, unlike Delvac Super which is group-I base, Delo 400 is group-II base, they both have different approach, Mobil uses group I and adds formidable additive package, Chevron uses superior base stock pus additives like Boron and Moly to achieve the same result. Plenty of information on ISOSYN available at Chevron site so I suggest you check them out.

Good info., Gurkha! Thanks again for your response and input. I'll look up the Isosyn on Chevron's website.

However, I think the moly and boron are a "new" additive focus for Chevron within the last year+. Interestingly enough, the UOA on the Isosyn 5W-30 I mentioned is actually a sample of SL rather than the Chevron Supreme 5W-30 SM. I had some of the SL lying about, and it was the one sampled.

This means that the moly and boron were limited in the sample, compared to what it would have been had the sample been SM.

Bob A.

Bob A.

I know that Moly is a recent additive for Delo 400 CI-4+, the older CI-4 did not have it, boron however has been Delo 400 standard additive package, actually good amount in their wonderful Delo gear oil where it boron is used instead of EP additives thereby making it safe for brone and other soft metal parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back