'03 Dodge/Cummins, 8303 OCI, Chev. Delo 400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.
I have an '03 Dodge/Cummins. Changed the oil at 36299 miles with 8303 miles on the Chevron Delo-400 CI-4 (not the new CI-4+). I, also, live in the hot & dusty desert (Phoenix, AZ.) & do some trailer pulling (7000+ lbs.) in the mountains. About 75% of those miles were with an AFE ProGuard-7 air filter system with a prefilter. Went back to the stock filter system, recently, because of some fuel injector warranty issues. The AFE caused me some concern over the silicon levels. I had an oil sample test done at Empire/Cat in Mesa, AZ.
I'm, also, concerned about some higher levels of Copper, Zinc, Calcium, Phosporus.

copper=10
iron=22
chrome=1
alum=3
silicon=5
lead=5
sodium=4
tin=1
nickel=1
barium=1
silver=2
zinc=1434
boron=1
calcium=3772
phospor=1247
magnesm=15
potasum=17
molybdm=0
titanum=0
vanadm=0

OIL CONDITION/Particle Count(ct/ml)
ST(soot)=11
OXI(oxidation)=41
NIT(nitration)=25
SUL(sulfation)=44
W(water)=N
A(antifreeze)=N
F(fuel)=N
V100(viscosity @100C)=13.8

The report, also, advised, "No Action Required". "No problems presently associated with this sample. Continue sampling at the normal interval".

This is my first oil sample test. Do any of these results look out of the ordinary? Does the oil look like it has much life left in it? I changed it at the time the sample was taken and, again, used Delo with a Fleetguard Microglass filter.

Any thoughts and suggestions, from those in the know, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You, for your help.

Joe Fihn

I was hoping someone with some "real world experience" regarding UOA's could comment on my oil sample. This is my first one and I'm very curious about how the oil & the truck are doing.

Thanks for your help.

Joe Fihn

Joe,

Contact Terry Dyson, one of our site sponsors. His knowledge will dazzle and amaze you for hours.

Wayne

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
These results look fine...the only concern I would have is about the 17 ppm of potassium. That could just be the composition of the local desert sand, or it could be the beginning of some coolant seepage.

Zn/P/Ca/Mg are additives and those levels are supposed to be high. The copper is probably coming from your oil cooler, which is seeing quite a bit of very hot oil, given these operating conditions.

Air filtration and bearing wear look good also.

I'd cut back to a 7500 mile service interval the next time around and re-test - mainly to keep an eye on the potassium levels....

Good advice!!!

These results look fine...the only concern I would have is about the 17 ppm of potassium. That could just be the composition of the local desert sand, or it could be the beginning of some coolant seepage.

Zn/P/Ca/Mg are additives and those levels are supposed to be high. The copper is probably coming from your oil cooler, which is seeing quite a bit of very hot oil, given these operating conditions.

Air filtration and bearing wear look good also.

I'd cut back to a 7500 mile service interval the next time around and re-test - mainly to keep an eye on the potassium levels....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back