Red Line 5W-30 2004 Ford 6.0 PSD 6792 Miles on Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running a Frantz bypass so I just sampled and kept on truckin'. I now have around 13K miles on the oil and will run the Red Line until the numbers reflect that I need to change. As of now, there is a lot of life left on this oil.
 -

[ May 08, 2006, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Go_Hogs_Go ]

It looks like Butler Labs has re-calibrated their FTIR - to deal with the false oxidation spike caused by lubricants with a significant ester content.

Nice work guys...

Note the initial MoDTC "plating" and resultant depletion, which stabilizes over time....a very interesting tribological interaction.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Great TBN retention.

Classic Redline Pb spike.

What were the first two oils? Pb (and Fe) is low with them(??)

The first two oils/two analysis' listed are w/the Amsoil Series 3000 5W-30.

I had Red Line 15W-40 in my crankcase before putting the Amsoil 5W-30 in the previous two analysis'. That's the reason for elevated moly even with the previous two Amsoil analysis (residual Red Line moly left over).

I'm not concerned about the lead. Mark at Butler seems to think that it's removing oxidation off of the bearings, which explains the elevated Pb.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
It looks like Butler Labs has re-calibrated their FTIR - to deal with the false oxidation spike caused by lubricants with a significant ester content.

No recalibration nor is it a false spike, the FTIR measures the c=o peak for oxidation and as you know it's also present in the ester oils. With a good reference we get good readings. Bad references which are caused by mixing oils, adding additives, or bastardized mixes of oils all give inaccurate readings. Like they say garbage in = garbage out.

Quick Question: I thought that Ford 6.0s are notoroious for having high fuel dilution, so where's my fuel
confused.gif

Is the TP removing the Fuel?

Michael

quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wan:
Quick Question: I thought that Ford 6.0s are notoroious for having high fuel dilution, so where's my fuel
confused.gif

Is the TP removing the Fuel?

Michael

The largest percentage of fuel dilution that I've ever had is 0.5%. I've never had a problem w/fuel dilution.

Nice report!

I wish I could keep up with RL's specs. Sometimes their website has the most current info, sometimes the bottle labels. I didn't know their 5W30 carried a diesel spec newer than CF.

I have been thinking about this oil, the 15w/40 oil did not have the high spike of lead. Although let us not jump to conclusions yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back