2003 VW Beetle TDI - 12900 mile Delvac 1 sample with 113k on engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from my dad's Beetle, with the 90 HP TDI engine. Analysis was done last week, the oil was in use about three months and 12,900 miles. The car sees almost exclusively easy highway driving.

-

everything looks great except for the iron ..but on a per 1000 mile basis it is only 2ppm per 1000 miles not too bad all other part to my uneducated eye say that the oil had more life in it...maybe to the 15,000 mark ..experts ring in
grin.gif

Insolubules seem to be getting high (soot) so that would be the condeming factor in this oil interval. Perhaps Lube Control in the oil would lower the soot allowing a 15,000 oil run next time.

T

I'd change only the filter after 7500 miles and you can safely go to a 15,000 mile, oil change interval. I trust the oil longer than I do the filter - especially in a diesel. This is due to the abrasive nature of soot particles flowing through the filter media at high velocities....

Tooslick

Hi,
this is a really great report - a great match of engine and driving environment to oil choice

In Delvac 1 5w-40, the TBN can be taken down to;
1% @ D4739 or,
2% @ D2896

I presume that the soot is shown as insolubles
If this is so the soot level of 0.6% is extremely low. This oil will easily tolerate 3.5% in your engine due to the way in which it handles soot (I have used it to levels way beyond that)

Whilst the viscosity is slightly out of the Lab's range, an increase of up to about 25% is acceptable in this engine with this oil

The filter should not be a problem up to about 20k miles if it is a OEM (MANN, Mahle, Knecht etc)as they are suitable for use way beyond that. However with all filters the Manufacturer's limit is best to follow up to about +10%

Regards
Doug

Doug,

The VW TDI's do not tolerate high soot levels very well....

The main culprit is their valve train design and the direct acting, radically profiled (very steep ramp) camshaft lobes. If you run soot concentrations higher than about 2.0% on changeout, you see much higher iron and chrome levels. I've looked at well over 100 of these analyses on the tdiclub.com forum over the past six years, and have a fair number of tdi customers.

My specific recommendation for the VW TDI engines is to keep the soot levels < 1.0% on changeout if at all possible, unless you are running a bypass filter setup that removes agglomerated soot particles. This requirement often precludes chip tuning and/or adding larger injectors. However I feel it is in the best interest of engine durability. Many TDI owners have expectations of > 500k engine life and they won't get there with these highly modified engines.

regards,

Ted

Hi,
Tooslick - Ted please read my post again, it said;
"This oil will easily tolerate 3.5% in your engine due to the way in which it handles soot (I have used it to levels way beyond that)"

The operative words are "This oil......due to the way in which it handles soot "

Please read further under the other VW thread by "jddaigle?"

Trashing a suitably rated oil with less than 1% soot - for this (soot) reason - is simply wasting money!

You also said;
"If you run soot concentrations higher than about 2.0% on changeout, you see much higher iron and chrome levels."

Ted such a comment begs qualification and quantification - the comment may simply NOT stack up under full scrutiny

It is certainly not my experience when the correctly specified lubricant (Approved and Listed) is used!

I stand by my comment - it referred to the lubricant Delvac 1 5w-40 - as used by "segfault"!

Regards
Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back