'93 Dodge Cummins Rotella T synth 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a while but I thought I'd drop by to get some comments. I was going to do yearly OCI but I installed some big ol' smoky injectors
burnout.gif
and I was afraid soot would get too high in a year. This oil was run for 6 months/7500 miles and had one quart of Pennzoil Long-Life 15W-40 added near the end. Lab was Predictive Maintenance Services.
code:

Iron 60

Chromium 12

Lead 2

Copper 6

Tin 0

Aluminum 7

Nickel 0

Silver 0

Silicon 14

Boron 16

Sodium 22

Potassium 7

Magnesium 128

Calcium 2880

Phosphorus 1410

Zinc 1825

Mloybdenum 12

Fuel
Water
Viscosity 13.9 @ 100c cST

TBN 7.5

Soot 0.4

Oxidation 14.0

Nitration 8.0

I think yearly changes with Mobil 1 T&S/Delvac 1 would be OK. I thought soot would be a lot higher.

What the lab said:
quote:

Wear and contamination levels appear normal. No corrective action indicated by tests performed. Continue normal PM & sample interval.

I use this truck as my daily commuter (12 miles each way), and I can't plug in at work. In addition to the larger injectors, I've also done pump and turbo work that has the truck putting down 345 HP at the rear tires
grin.gif
(stock was 160 HP at the crank). I think the relatively short trips, cold starts at work, and the extra power led to the high wear metals over the winter.

Do you find that a plausible theory?

Your injectors might be washing down the cylinder walls causing increased wear to the rings and cylinders (high chrome and iron). We see this when people use starting fluid. The normal chrome reading should be about 1-2 ppm and iron should probably be around 20 or so. I don't know what the long term effects will be since we don't work with souped-up diesels but I would be concerned about these levels. If this sample came through our lab it would have been rated urgent and someone would have got a call.

Why am I not seeing high amounts of fuel in the oil? The fuel section was marked "A" for acceptable, on the back of the sheet they say that means 0 - 3% fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back