04 PD TDI, 10k OCI Castrol 505.01 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comments? Looks like oil sheared down considerably. Is that the viscosity for a 20 weight oil? Everything else looks good. Your comments please.

Vehicle is a 2004 Jetta PD TDI Wagon. It is driven 120 miles a day. 100 miles it at 80 mph (2,650 rpm on tachometer) and the other 20 is in fairly heavy city driving.
 -

Blackstone's comments amaze me sometimes. They didn't even flag the viscosity? Have them recheck that. Fe seems high. Was the oil in for 10k miles or 7.5k?

The oil was in for 10,000 miles. Total time on oil per my Hobbs Meter was about 240 hours.

My father's E300D 3.0L I6 diesel shows much better wear rates on delvac 1. Sure, different engine, different power density, different manufacturer, but your iron is higher that Id expect to see, even in a diesel... My 83 300D would give numbers like yours, at such OCIs, and Im sure that your engine (nearly broken in at this point) ought to give a little bit lower than my old 617.952 turbo.

What is the capacity in your sump? As a reference (maybe a bad one, but useful nonetheless), the 96 E300D (with an 8qt sump) will do:

code:

0.42 ppm Fe

------------------------------

(1000mi * qt of sump capacity)

BTW, it comes to 27 ppm Fe for 7960 mi OCI and 8qt sump. No shearing out of grade and all soft metals EXTREMELY low.

Id give Delvac 1 a try if youre not afraid to. Its great stuff.

JMH

I figure its still breaking in.
No, I'm only going to use a 505.01 approved oil in order to maintain my warranty.

I may switch to a different brand of 505.01 though.

Id agree with that. At 20k, its starting to get into the broken in range. By 60k youll be fylly broken in!

cheers.gif

JMH

Drew,

I am not at all impressed by any of these VW 505.01 rated oils - or even the VW 506.01 oils - after seeing the wimpy additive packages they are using. They all seem to shear and don't hold up all that well either.

I noticed that some folks have finally come to their senses over on the TDI Club and started running Delvac 1 and Amsoil in several of these motors. I think you'll find both Delvac 1 and the new Amsoil 5w-40 significantly outperform the group III based, VW 505.01 oils in the PD motor.
I'd run the Amsoil 5w-40 as soon as the factory fill was drained out of my PD.

The whole VW 505.01 thing is a total scam on the part of VW....

Tooslick

Yeah the Amsoil 5w-40 or new Mobil 1 10w-40 EP oil would be my choice. The M1 EP is new so I can't really make any claims to how good it will be but I do think it will be very good.

I gave another member on TDI club a hard time for his decision to switch to a non 505.01 oil. I'm becoming a little disillusioned with my results with Castrol 505.01.

My FE averages are consistent with other PD engines but the viscosity shearing is a NO GO in my book. The whole purpose of the 505.01 oil spec was to make the oil shear stable against the high shearing stresses the camshaft driven 30k psi unit injectors impose on the oil. Shearing down to a 20 weight from a 40 weight is unacceptable.

I'm going to try another brand of 505.01 and see how well it holds up with resampling at 5,000 miles.

If the second 505.01 brand doesn't hold up either then I'm going to switch to a non 505.01 oil like Delvac and pull samples every 5k too.

I found a way around my warranty issue. Don't ask don't tell. I'll have receipts for future regular oil purchases to satisfy VW dealer warranty requirements but receipts don't prove that the oil was used in a specific engine anyway, do they? I already run a diesel oil in my wife's Taurus..... ;-)

The additive chemistry and viscosity for the new Amsoil 5w-40 is very close to the additive chemistry and viscosity for the VW 505.01 rated, Castrol 5w-40 sold by TDI dealers.

However, the Amsoil 5w-40 uses a superior PAO/Ester basestock and has a TBN > 12. So I expect it will hold up significantly better than the Group III based 9.5 TBN, Castrol 5w-40.

Time will tell...

TS

It was a typo by the lab. They made it up to with no charge for my next sample.

The oil DID NOT shear. It remained a 40 wt with SUS at 68.2

I'm going to do the full 10k on my oil but send the next oil sample to Blackstone and another lab just as a precaution. I want to be able to trust my oil and my oil analysis lab equally.

Thank and appreciate the comments, particularly to have Blackstone retest the sample.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew:

I'm going to try another brand of 505.01 and see how well it holds up with resampling at 5,000 miles.

Drew,

What 505.01 oil are you using now? Only 505.01 oils other than Castrol I can think of are Elf Excellium DID 5w-40 and Motul Sepecific 505.01. Also I've heard that PentosynthTS is available.
By the way, I've seen a good UOA of Elf DID 5w-40 posted in TDI Club Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back