Status
Not open for further replies.
Chevron Delo 400 15W-40 CI-4 Plus.
23,700 mi / 800 hr - 41% Idle / 3625 gal fuel
Same Filter Entire Run (Fleetguard)
Water Temperature 10&#176F to 227&#176F
Oil Temperature 10&#176F to 205&#176F
Ambient Temperature -30&#176F to 75&#176F
CAT 3406E 475HP / 1650T (40 Qt Capacity + 16 Qt Add Oil). 554,100 Mi Total on Engine.

Iron 21
Aluminum 5*
Copper 2
Tin 3
Silicon 5
Sodium 2
Potassium 1

Moly 255
Boron 93
Magnesium 35
Calcium 3414
Phosphorus 1252
Zinc 1395

Fuel 0.5%
Soot 0.2%
Water
Other metals and additives 0

Additional Tests on order:
Visc, TAN, TBN, Oxid, Nitr...

"*Data flagged for observation only: Aluminum is still at a MINOR LEVEL." I believe they noted this because this is the highest reading this truck has ever had.

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Why did you change it?

1. This was the first run with Delo 400 (See Delvac 1300 UOA)

2. Engine has been loosing prime when changing fuel filters (Suspect bad check valve in primer pump). Engine lost about 10% in MPG and was running slightly rough. It had a slight delay in disengagement of compression brake on 1-2 cylinders. It was also due for overhead (Valve, Injector, and Compression Brake Adjustment). Valve Cover was coming off and I wanted an uncorrupted sample.

3. Lots of idle time

4. Increased oil consumption toward end of drain period.

5. Engine has been showing more Nitration than Oxidation (Suspect faulty ring seal during idle). Also CAT engines tend to run low oil temps of around 160&#176F. They only see 200&#176F temps under high loads and hard pulls.

Results of overhead showed that I had one Broken Rocker Arm (Down to Three Valves on One Cylinder) and One Bad Compression Brake Solenoid. Primer Pump was Changed.

Runs as smooth as a 12 Cylinder Mercedes now...

Gene

Wow!!

Why did you change it?
tongue.gif

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that oil is kicking arse!

We're running ten Cats (C-12's and two C13's) and have had some wear issues related to the thrust washers in the cranks wearing out--because of the automatic trannys which "pull" on the crank. Cat said their engines were compatible with these Meritor 12 speed automatics--but they ended up not working so well. We found 1/4" of crank end play on two of the engines.
shocked.gif
On a third a piston actually came through the side of the block--almost certainly due to crank end play.

Cat has new thrust washers being shipped now. We're going to retrofit all of the engines. They're still under warranty, so it's not a big deal except for down time.

Anyway, after we get these things fixed up like they're supposed to be, I'll try running some Delo through 'em and hope for results half as good as yours.

Great report...

Dan

dang! Shows you what a huge sump will do for you ...HUMMMmmmm wonder how long my Altima , with a bypass could go on a 40 quart sump....200000 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back