04 Dodge Cummins Rotella 5w-40 syn 16,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
All,

This oil change was 16,000 miles on Rotella Syn 5w-40 engine has a total of 135,000 at this oil change.

I be interested to hear what people have to say about the copper and iron.

Wayne

135000.jpg

Last edited:
Wayne,

I was waiting until you got your read on this oil. Your iron is high, but not over the limit that Cummins allows. I still would not exceed 10-12K on this oil. Personally, using this truck pulling that load, (possible exceeding your CGVW) and running with constant boost unless you are going down hill or idle, it is hard to fault the engine or oil. Short of spectacular comes first to mind. This is my take.

Yeah I agree that this engine is doing fantastic considering what it's up against. I think we'll drop back to doing 10,000 miles changes again.

Wayne

Wayne, just curious, is your truck a 305/555 or a 600 engine?

It definitely looks like you got past the point of good protection with the rotella syn. I would suggest also cutting your interval down a bit or switching up to a stouter oil , like Delvac 1. Granted I have a bypass system and changed filters once at 10k, I just ran 20k on d1 and my results are viewable on a separate thread in this forum - my iron was 35. My truck is a 305/555.

Lightman,

This particular truck is an '04 305/555. Truck now has 155,000 miles and is running as great as the day it was new. The NV Gear tranny and the American Axle rear end are both tough as nails and they need to be with the weight we tow. Both the tranny and diff get fresh fluid every 60,000 miles and so far not a bit of trouble from either.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back