Esso XD-3, 8700 KM, 2004 6.0 Ford PSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Tony B:
Get some load on the truck and get some 3/4- full throttle pulling up hills in on the motor and that might help seal the rings for you. The best is to have a load on the engine and let the engine work the load thru its entire RPM range....i.e. no quick shifts and let the engine take its time working up the RPMs when you are low in the RPM range. You don't want to lug the engine, but definately make it grunt some when on the low rpm end.

T

T
[/QUOTE}
I'll give it a shot.. Are you saying that the rings can still be seated now, even with 40K km on the engine?

Yes,depending on how babied it is, the rings still may not of seated. The rings and the block are super hard materials and take time to seat under ideal circumstances-15,000 miles if I remember Ford right. If it is babied, the rings could seal lightly or partially and then you could have carbon buildup preventing the complete seal. Buy running it hard you get the walls/piston hotter, burn off the carbon, and apply pressure to the rings to force them against the walls-making the seal better.

I am not saying this is a cure all, but I have seen it happen to diesels driven lightly all the time-especially since new. Once sealed the truck can be driven lightly again without probs.

Do you have uoa's from when new-often the ring material will show up as it wears in--and sometimes consistently low numbers since new will show the poor ring seal.

T

Just rechecked and look at the silicon numbers increasing.
shocked.gif

ouch, my mistake.

Looks amazing though and seeing the TBN, you could almost double the mileage with no protection concerns..

Quick Lude

Why are you switching oils every change? You're changing another variable and making it harder to evaluate the analysis. Changing oils, change intervals, driving conditions, etc. all make it more difficult to make sense of the data.

I'm not convinced that you have a fuel dilution problem as other things can cause viscosity loss. Even if you do it isn't very much and it isn't hurting anything (look at the wear levels). We (Caterpillar) don't consider fuel to be positive until it is over 4%.

The light fractions of the fuel will evaporate out of the oil and this is what makes it hard to detect since most labs depend on flash test to detect fuel and frequently the light fractions have flashed off in the engine. A gas chromatograph is the about the only way to determine fuel dilution accurately.

Actually I was going to stick with Delvac 1300 in the summer but I was forced into using the Castrol RX, then I "discovered" the XD-3 0w30 and now I'm pretty sure I will be using this oil all year round, barring any bad results.

I'm coming up on my second interval with XD-3, this one will have 10,000km on it. Curious to see the fuel contamination and results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back