Soot(%) 0 0 0 0 0

Oxid(PA) 63 163 63 63

Nitr(PA) 73 195 73 64

Sulf(PA) 56 191 56 56

ZDDP 18 18 17

TBN 7.42 7.31 8.1 8.06

Kv@100°C 10 11.1 12 9.8

VOA Kv@100°C 12.1 14.8 15.5 15.7

Once again, a high percentage of fuel in the oil. This inverval was done during the winter with temps sometimes hitting -25 Deg Celsius overnight. I plugged in the truck whenever I could although sometimes at work that was not an option. The only change in my driving habits was that the truck is now my full time vehicle while my S2000 is in storage, thus I take it to the store, etc. On my previous interval with the Castrol RX my turbo vanes were malfunctioning and the whole turbo was replaced which might explain the relative poor performance of the oil and the increase in iron.

I was a little concerned about how the XD-3 0w30 would perform under the harsh winter conditions and if it would shear badly like it's xs-3 0w40 cousin did but I am pleasantly suprised how it sheared the least % wise vs the other oils. Unless it sheared badly and it's now thickening.
dunno.gif

Overall I think for the price, about $4 Cnd this oil performed very well in my engine and I'm planning to use it all year round.

Any suggestions on what to do about the fuel contamination? I do a fair amount of stop and go at work but I don't idle for more than 5 mins at a time and mostly less actually. So no more than a person would in heavy traffic. This is mixed in with hwy driving and normal city driving. I've seen many other 6.0 analysis and none of them have such high fuel for so long. My oil level does not move up on the dipstick through the interval. With the TBN at 7, this oil would hold up a lot longer and better if not for the fuel contamination.
banghead.gif
Do you think Ford would test the injectors based on my last 4 interval data?
dunno.gif

Now I'm really confused. 0w30 is heavier than 0w40 when you are done with it? I'll have to do more research on Kv before I make my switch in oils. I know the PSDs are hard on oil but if Kv is linear...woah!

Cheers, Steve

3-4% fuel...thats just nasty. Do you happen to be idling the engine at all? Quick starts and quick shutdowns might just be what you need to start doing here instead of letting the fuel contamination go so high.

I do not idle a lot. In the morning, I idle 2-3 min max and off I go, regardless if it's -20 Deg C and the truck was not plugged in. At work I do a lot of stop and go but I never idle for more than 5 min at a time and mostly it's about 1 min, just enough to stop, get out, open the tailgate, take a sign out, set it up on the corner(about 20 secs) get back in and drive away. Thus my driving might be comparable to heavy stop and go imo, plus I do mix in hwy driving at about 40%.

The only thing that I used to do that might have produced high oil contamination is move my truck from my driveway to the street in order to take my other car out of the garage in the morning and then do the same at night. I only have a single driveway and must do the switch. I thought that these quick starts/shutdowns might have elevated the fuel but for this interval, I'm using the truck full time while my other car is stored, so that rules it out.

Do you drive it like your S2000?

Also, where is the silver coming from? The should not be silver bearing in this engine. If there are then you are using the wrong oil and should be using a locomotive oil.

Hehe.. locomotive
grin.gif
Well it does have 575 ft-lbs of torque.
cheers.gif

I drive it very gently to save on fuel, it's an auto and it usually shifts around 1800-2100 rpm. Occasionally I drop the hammer to clear out the internals and the egr system. Don't forget these engines redline at 4000rpm, rather high for a diesel.

Will diesel evaporate out of the oil like gasoline does? Maybe it doesn't so you're stuck with it in the oil until the next change...

My 1992 VW diesel redlines at 5500 but there is so much engine noise that you think you're going faster than you really are.

Steve

Ford has issues with the injectors on the 6.0 and they are trying to pass off 4% fuel dilution as the acceptable max. This is the last info I have had on them. Having two 7.3's, I don't keep up with the 6.0 as I should. When they are running correct, they are a jewel to drive.

smile.gif

The oil did quite well considering the operating conditions. I doubt the 0w30 sheared at all, the fuel dilution is lowering the viscosity. The 0w40 looks like it did shear, I suspect it contains some VI improvers where the 0w30 doesn't.

I'll have a 40,000km UOA on the 0w30 coming up here shortly. I'm very interested to see if it can stay in grade over such long interval when Amsoil and M1 couldn't. I'm also going to pop for a TAN test since the van had a thermostat failure during this OCI. I just want to make sure everything is OK before I continue with such long OCI's.

But if all is well, I'll just change the filters and keep on motoring. 100k OCI anyone?
grin.gif

The fuel dilution is causing the oil to shear. Esso 0w-30/40 are extremely shear stable. Both have HT/HS of 3.6 and 4.2.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
The fuel dilution is causing the oil to shear. Esso 0w-30/40 are extremely shear stable. Both have HT/HS of 3.6 and 4.2.

I have no doubt of that... I wish Ford would get their sheit together and do something about it, but how do you explain the 0w40 shearing so much more compared to the 0w30 with all other things being equal?

quote:

Originally posted by olympic:
The 0w40 looks like it did shear, I suspect it contains some VI improvers where the 0w30 doesn't.

This is just an educated guess on my part because no one outside of Esso really knows for sure.

The use of VI improvers will cause an oil to shear down under severe use. Your PSD uses very high oil pressure to activate the injectors which really beats the crap out of the oil. I'd stick with a conservative OCI for the time being until a fix for the fuel dilution issue is found.

quote:

Originally posted by srivett:
Will diesel evaporate out of the oil like gasoline does? Maybe it doesn't so you're stuck with it in the oil until the next change...
Steve

Nope. The only way to get diesel fuel out of the crankcase is to drain it.

I don't know how much fuel is too much--should be nearly nothing, but I'd keep hammering Ford for warranty repairs. Be sure the repair order shows that you have that percentage of fuel in the oil. That and the analysis reports are your documentation in case of a repair claim that the warranty should have covered but didn't.

Ken

Ken,

I very respectively disagree ...I believe the FP of diesel fuel is approx +120F and some if it will evaporate at elevated temps, although at a much slower rate than for gasoline. Now pure biodiesel is another story, since the B100 has a FP of +300F or something pretty close to that....I have seen consistent fuel dilution with biodiesel in the VW TDI diesel application.

If I'm off base, please let me know!

Ted

Diesels do not like to be babied! If this engine has been babied since new, you are probably not getting good ring seal,contributing to the high fuel dilution. What I would try as a possible solution is try running the truck hard for just one short OCI like 5000 km and see if the fuel dilution goes down some on it and the subsequent oci test. Some diesels can go for 35,000 miles with poor ring seal because they did not ever get worked. Its good to work a diesel in the beginning-gets the bearings worked in and the rings sealed.

Also the best bang for the buck seems to be the Delvac dino oil you use, based on the test results.

quote:

Originally posted by Tony B:
Diesels do not like to be babied! If this engine has been babied since new, you are probably not getting good ring seal,contributing to the high fuel dilution. What I would try as a possible solution is try running the truck hard for just one short OCI like 5000 km and see if the fuel dilution goes down some on it and the subsequent oci test. Some diesels can go for 35,000 miles with poor ring seal because they did not ever get worked. Its good to work a diesel in the beginning-gets the bearings worked in and the rings sealed.

Also the best bang for the buck seems to be the Delvac dino oil you use, based on the test results.

Define "babied"? Do you mean more throttle and closer to redline?

The Delvac 15w40 did pretty well but that was in the summer. I would not want dino 15w40 in there with temps hitting -20 to -30 Deg Celsius overnight.

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:

quote:

Originally posted by Tony B:

Define "babied"? Do you mean more throttle and closer to redline?

The Delvac 15w40 did pretty well but that was in the summer. I would not want dino 15w40 in there with temps hitting -20 to -30 Deg Celsius overnight.

Diesels need to run hard--throttle and load to help seat the rings well. I have seen and heard of diesels that just never have the rings seal well if driven like a passenger vehicle and never really worked. Get some load on the truck and get some 3/4- full throttle pulling up hills in on the motor and that might help seal the rings for you. The best is to have a load on the engine and let the engine work the load thru its entire RPM range....i.e. no quick shifts and let the engine take its time working up the RPMs when you are low in the RPM range. You don't want to lug the engine, but definately make it grunt some when on the low rpm end.

T

T

QuickLude, you may find it interesting that Motorcraft Canada is getting Esso XD3 bottled in thier MotorCraft line. My Esso agent told me this short time ago, he said Esso will make Mastercraft 0-30 and 0-40 syn oils. I doubt the XD3 price will be lower in Mastercraft bottles.

Interesting that Ford wants Esso XD3 syn oil in HDEO for thier diesels, possible Ford believes this XD3 syn oil is the answer for thier diesels?
(the agent said nothing about SL gas oils or HDEO dino being made by Esso, I assume Ford would sign a broad contract with Esso on all oils rather than just syn oil in HDEO) Once you see 0-30 or 0-40 syn oil on Ford shop shelves it will be XD3 syn.

Cyprs

quote:

Originally posted by wulimaster:
Do you drive it like your S2000?

Also, where is the silver coming from? The should not be silver bearing in this engine. If there are then you are using the wrong oil and should be using a locomotive oil.

Those numbers don't mean anything. The lab should not even report tenths as they are not significant digits and only serve to complicate things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back