Status
Not open for further replies.
Peoples Republic of Cal, Central i Coast Provance
Red Line 5w-40
Cat SOS Lab
Miles on oil: 5000/10000
Miles on motor: 115000/120000
All OEM filters were used

First number is for the 5k sample, and second is for the 10k sample.

Vis @100C 14.7 / 14.9
Al 3 / 7
B 5 / 8
Cr 1 / 2
Cu 4 / 5
Fe 20 / 32
Pb 2 / 5
Mg 90 / 83
Mo 716 / 668
Ni 1 / 1
Si 8 / 8
Na 19 / 17
Sn 0 / 1
Zn 1537 / 1402

Soot .85% / 1.16%
Water 0 / 0
Fuel 0 / 0
Anti-freeze 0 / 0
TBN 10.0 / 9.0

Make up oil about 6 oz to replace sample volume.
Oil was left in for an additional 5k miles.

Fuel Power was used during the period as a fuel additive.

Before anyone points it out, yes, this is an oil made for gassers. It seems to be doing a good job so far.

Looks good. Lot of life left in that oil. Diesels seem to be easier on oil. Most UOA's look good. Not trying to take away from RL here, but there are quite a few good UOA's in this section. Fe is high a tad.

Your Fe is only 3.2 ppm/thousand. Not excessive by any stretch. Wouldn't continued use of the RL improve the wear numbers with time?

Thinking out loud:
Seems to me, as a casual observer, the mineral oils produce better Fe wear rates when compared to the synthetics.

Cold flow properties aside the real difference between mineral and synthetic is change interval economics.

buster, diesels are not easier on oils at all. Diesels are much harder on oil. The difference is in the material, design and fuel control systems. Redline does well in engines that are useing cutting edge materials with modern designs. If we bar cars being tracked etc... The vechiles with the worst numbers on Redline tend to be old domestic designs useing the cheapest matrials available. GM vechiles tend to do the worst with Redline.

Most diesels are built very rigidly so block flex is reduced. Diesels harsh environment preety much forces the OEM to give them generious journal(stout). They have to use very high quality alloys for the pistons and the rings are also made from better materials. THe surface treatment on the parts is also much better with just about every friction part being heatreated and in a lot of cases polished or lapped to a much better finish.

Even a light weight passenger car diesel is a different beast from any of the gassers you are familar with. It is hard to read the wear and oil consuption if you are not familar with them.

[ January 08, 2005, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

quote:

The vechiles with the worst numbers on Redline tend to be old domestic designs useing the cheapest matrials available. GM vechiles tend to do the worst with Redline

I agree with this to some extent. German cars/Toyotas/Subs etc show well on any oil so where does that leave us?

[ January 08, 2005, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

So true buster!!! Well it still leaves us with diesels being differnt beasts of burden form the gassers we all look at the majority of the time!

Find a machine shop in your area that works on diesels and ask them if you can take a look at the pistons, rods etc........ Then you will get a perspective on what I mean. Most comerial diesels have powertrains wich weight more then your entire Corolla did!

just put redline 5w40 in my 7.3L.
Redline's website product data has the 5w-40 as CD/SL but on the bottle it is rated CH-4.

I spoke w/Dave at Red Line today and he stated that the 5W-30/5W-40/10W-30/15W-40 are all CI-4 rated oils. He stated that the Red Line website hasn't updated the info as of yet and they are now finally printing the updated CI-4 rating on bottles.

I was at the auto parts store yesterday and notices the ci4 rating on the oil . Go_ Hogs_ Go are you going to try the 05w/30 Redline in your Superduty?

It's in my 6.0 PSD as I'm typing this. Put it in there yesterday. Over the next month I'll be putting A LOT of miles on my truck and should have at least 5000 miles on the oil. I'll send it to Butler Labs and post the results. Yummy....

Go_Hogs_Go I am following your different oils and feul consumption ,Do you feel the 1 mpg increase with the S3000 Amsoil is consistant or just a couple of tank fulls of gas er ah diesel?

It's a consistent 1 mpg increase. The 6.0 PSD doesn't like thick oil, at all. 30 weight oil makes it run quieter, get better fuel mileage, flows better at cold temperatures than a 40 weight oil, and provides the same wear numbers as a 40 weight oil. There's really only one choice for me, and that's a xW-30 weight oil.

Before the 15w/40 oils were used seemed all the cummins and cat engines used straight 30 wt oil .So I always wonder about 30 wt oil .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back