Delo/4Runner torture test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the results from my recent trip around Bolivia, with temperatures from -10 C to +56 C., full of dust.
Full story, links to copy of the analysis GPS files and some pictures are Torturetest
1999 Toyota 4Runner 3.0 Turbo Diesel
Delo 15W-40, 21 days, 5200 kilometers
Stock Toyota Denso air filter that started with 19,000 km on it. Denso diesel and oil filters.
Iron 11
Chrom 1
Lead 21
Copper 2
Tin 0
Aluminum 3 (from the dirt)
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 9
Boron 1
Sodium 7 (drove acrosss the salt flats)
Magnesium 10
Calcium 3275
Barium 0
Phos 1385
Zinc 1427
Moly 1
No fuel, water, glycol
Visc 14.92
Soot/solids 0.9
TBN 8.8

The soot is understandable considering some of the diesel we had to "borrow", that put out quite a black cloud, but beggars can't be choosers.
It's the lead that bothers me, although it could have been in that fuel. Some of the earlier samples have high lead, but from a time when I kept this Runner at the city where my other house and office are, using it every 6 to 15 weeks. But that was sometime ago andthis sample with only 3 weeks on it had no time to sit around.

What sort of fuel mileage did you get? I bet it is pretty good due to the low speeds. 70 km/hr seems to be the best speed to travel at if you have the time. Not that that would be acceptable to other drivers nowadays.
smile.gif

Cheers, Steve

The Toytoa 3.9 liter diesel engine as well as the HINO built 4.0 liter diesel engine used in the TLC is among the best in the industry along with their workhorse 2.4 liter engine, no wonder it performed admirably.

Are these the same 6 cylinder diesels that are available in Landcruisers? I was down at the local diesel shop and found out that the mines in town are using Landcruiser pick-up trucks underground! He told me that they lock them in 2nd gear and drive around WFO so the injection pumps only last 6 months at a time. He said they rebuild about 300 of these pumps a year so one could say that they are over 150 of these diesel engines in Sudbury.

It may be worth my while to find one of these engiens if they are an easy swap into a 4 runner.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back