Amsoil 5W30 HDD/Ford PSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Ford PSD with 21,000 miles. At 13,000 miles, 11 Jan 04 changed oil and FF to Amsoil 5W30 HDD. At 16,000 miles added a Frantz bypass. 2 bypass filter changes with 2 quarts top up for the filter changes. No make-up oil or FF change in this 8,000 run. Analysis done at 21,000. (8 months, 8,000 Miles).

Iron----31
Chrom---4
Lead----10
Copper--7
Tin-----15
Alum----4
Nickle--1
Silicon-16 (Normal)
Boron---38
Mag-----101
Calcium-4768
Phos----1293
Zinc----1409
Pot-----4
Vis-----9.9
Water---.05
Solids--0
Glycol--0
All others 0 (No TBN)

Silicon is normal on this low mileage engine. Most of it is from silicon gasket leaching.

The hdd Amsoil should be showing 0 wear metals after reading the Amsoil literature and considering the price. Doesn't seem to stand out compared to the fmvvrt web site numbers . But then have you been towing or chipped ?. It appears the 15w/40 amsoil is a better buy. Still the Delvac 05w/40 would be better if a 5w/ oil is needed.

Steve,

The truck is 100% stock except for the bypass filter. About 4500 miles on this oil were towing my TT. I did have one speed run to Phoenix at 75 mph, empty going and pulling a 3K trailer back to Arkansas at the same speeds. Actually a 15W oil in our temps here is no problem in this truck. Starts easy in the cold. (My 95 PSD is a different story in the winter).

dunno.gif

I wondered, because the wear numbers increase as the motor works harder,"Duh" I still can't see any value in syn oil for the diesels unless in freezing cold, Then syn is the choice. Are you going to use the hdd again? and the hard question, did you see an decrease in feul consumption?

Steve,

From memory, the viscosity (9.9) is on the low end of a 30W. This oil did not thicken like some do with use. And I do hate to admit, yes with more miles on the engine my mileage was lower, once I got past the 4K mark on the oil. This surprised me more than anything using a 5W30. I am going to change to 15W40 Royal Purple in a week. I just got back from a trip and have to many honey-do's to finish first.
rolleyes.gif

I just looked at this analysis again and the Tin reading has me wondering. A reading of 15ppm is way out of line. Now I can stay awake nights wondering where the bearing/piston wear is coming from.

frown.gif

I went to the fmvrtt oil anaylsis site and the numbers seem high in comparison .But also how the truck is used and run makes a difference . I wouldn't worry. Yet. Seems 05w/40 or 15w/40 works real good in the Powerstrokes .I can't see giving big Al the difference in price between the HDD and the diesel and marine oil.

[ October 07, 2004, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

quote:

And I do hate to admit, yes with more miles on the engine my mileage was lower, once I got past the 4K mark on the oil. This surprised me more than anything using a 5W30.
rolleyes.gif
[/QB]

Checking things under the hood today, and remembered that I had changed from an aftermarket open paper air cleaner (Big Donaldson) back to the factory piece of stuff. Just trying to make sure no warranty denial on air cleaners. This was at 4K into the interval. This explains the drop in mileage. Sorry for the lack of information on the original post.

nono.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back