Amsoil 10w40 / 1.6L Diesel Tractor / 107 hrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am reposting my recent UOA because the board seemed to eat my first one...
On a Kubota 1.6L diesel tractor, 107 hrs on Amsoil 10w40 & 424 total hrs on engine. There were 2 qts of make-up oil added (357h & 392h) due to bypass filter changes. I plan to lengthen the bypass element change to 50 hrs and retest the oil at 200hrs. Any comments?

Iron 2
Chromium 1
Lead 1
Copper 4
Tin 0
Aluminum 1
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 3
Boron 3
Sodium 0
Magnesium 38
Calcium 3410
Barium 0
Phosphorus 910
Zinc 1345
Molybdenum 0
Titanium 0
Vandium 0
Potassium 0
Fuel %vol Vis100c 13.13
Water %vol 0.0
Soot/Solids %wt 0.3
Glycol Neg
TBN 12.7
Oxid 16.0
Nitr 13.0

It has been my intention to switch to the 5w30 HDD for the reasons you mention (heat transfer and powertrain drag), plus cold temp starts. The 15w40 is too thick IMHO for the occasional cold snaps we get in Maryland - but it's splitting hairs. From what I have read here 15-20 degrees F is the lower limit for 15w oils.
The 5w30 HDD will be going in in 50 hour increments so I expect the 200 hour UOA to be skewed as far as additives and viscosity. I wonder if I should drain the 10w40 and start with a new fill of 5w30 HDD ?
Thanks for the comments... This forum is something else.

Looks good but why not the Amsoil 15W40 AME? It's their trademark synthetic engine oil for HD apps.

The guy I rent heavy equipment from runs this in all his rental equipment and has never had any problems.

I'd say you can run 300-400 hour change intervals under these conditions ....

My preference would be to run the Series 3000, 5w-30 since you have the bypass filter system in place. I think you'll find it provides a bit more power and reduces fuel consumption a bit. The engine should also run a bit cooler with the SAE 5w-30 in there.

I have to admit I'm picking nits - these are excellent results by any measure ....

TS

RJ, how much tach time is excavating type work vs. field work like rototilling. I'm curious as to if you run the engine loaded in the PTO range alot or down at simply a good hydraulic pump speed RPM to dig holes and such? Just wondering. Thanks

I would use the 15w/40 Amsoil . Remember the main advantage is that syn oil is a different beast when it comes to cold starting. I think "with out looking the numbers" that mobil 1 claims the 15/w50 pumps like a 05w/30. There seems to be not much difference in real life wear numbers when comparing Amsoil AME and HDD plus I would guess that the difference in feul consumed if any would never pay for the difference in cost.

quote:

RJ, how much tach time is excavating type work vs. field work like rototilling.

I use it mostly at 2600 rpm (PTO speed) for field mowing in the growing seasons. In the fall & winter its use is mostly maintaining a 600' drive and running the trash to the dumpster!
I'm about 20 hours short of a 200h UOA with the same setup.

Well thats good to know. Because that means your giving the oil a real workout. So your UOA on the HP 10w-40 was very impressive. Are you running the HDD now or still working on the 200hr. AMO UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back