AMSOIL 15W40 in 91 Dodge CTD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some numbers from my oil just before I did a top end rebuild. I'm thinking everything is looking pretty good. Any other thoughts? This engine had right at 249K miles on it when this sample was taken.

Fe 29
Cr 12
Pb 3
Cu 5
Sn 0
Al 6
Ni 0
Ag 0
Si 15
B 2
Na 5
Mg 21
Ca 3793
Ba 0
P 1138
Zn 1326
Mo 0
Ti 0
V 0
K 0
Fuel Vis @ 100C 14.09 cSt
Water 0%vol
Coot/solids 0.2%wt
Glycol Neg
TBN 11.15
Oxid 14.0
Nitr 11.0
F-Soot 0.21

No corrective action was recommended.

Like I said, I think these numbers are looking pretty good for a 13 year old truck pushing close to 300RWHP. Opinion? Comments?

Oil is in excellent shape, but chrome wear is through the roof - it should be more like 1-3 ppm. I'd check the entire intake system for leaks, as well as all the vacuum hoses and connections.

TS
Dixie Synthetics

The oil only had 5000 miles on it when I had to pull the head. It is since refilled and new filter and bypass element installed. Good to go until I loose another head gasket!
banghead.gif
When that happens, the block is going to get pulled, new bearings, deacked, o-ringed block and head and head studs. I hope that doesn't happen for a while though.

TS,
Why do you say the Cr is too high and how would intake system leaks cause Cr to be high? Only thing in my intake system is air and that is pressurised. And as for vacuum leaks, only thing vacuum does on this rig is help with the brakes and move a few valves so that is a non-issue.

Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back