DELO (15w-40? 5w40?) VW TDI 6,000 mi interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lab, Dyson Analysis -Holt Cat labs.

2001 VW Jetta TDI
Chipped (rocketchip), egr mod and elephant hose ccv to atmosphere done a few k miles ago. Last owner also had to clean the egr... I replaced the elephant hose mod with an eclipse oil/air separator. Unknown mileage on fuel filter, k and n air filter (will change to paper soon).

City driving, in winter.. since 69,500 miles.. before that it was in Maryland where the last owner shifted at 2k usually, is that too low? I like to let it run to 2500 at least, but I do shift low if im accelerating real slow!

Oil Delo 15w-40 or synth 5w40?? (last owner is clueless, says he bought synth oil in blue bottle at walmart for 7 bux.. i think its 15w40).
Miles on Engine 71,000
Miles on oil 6000

Fuel soot 76 or 36% (its a ftir number, so im not sure if thats similar to the amsoil soot % which ive seen average like 2% max??)
Oxid 76 or 38%
Nox 56 or 28%
sul 45 or 22.5%
TBN 8
FE ppm 39
Chromium 2
Lead 5
Copper 3
Tin 0
Aluminum 7
Silicon 5
Sodium 3
Potassium 2
Moly 0
Phosphorus 1290
Zinc 1375
Calcium 3399
Magnesium 24
water neg
fuel neg
Antifreeze neg
Vis@100 15.2
makeup 0
additives (i put in like 4 oz of leftover auto rx at 69000 mi)
fuel treat started it on powerservice at 69400

[ April 02, 2004, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: robnitro ]

maybe, synthetic buy anyone know if walmart carries delo synthetic anywhere in maryland for 7 bux?? also what color is the synth bottle? he said the delo was blue... i think he misread the iso-syn as synthetic, lol

TBN is reasonable, since it starts around 11, and there were a mostly highway trips until 69,500k miles. TBN is more related to additives than basestock, and I see a lot of calcium here! After all its made for trucks that run crazy intervals on dino!

From a post by widman (a chevron dealer)
Chevron Delo 400 15w40 (USA)
Magnesio
Here's another virgin delo 15w40 analysis, additive levels seem close, but the phos is lower a bit.
Test was done by Oil Analyzers
Iron 1ppm Chromium 0ppm Lead 0ppm
Copper 0ppm Tin 0ppm Aluminum 0ppm
Nickle 0ppm Silver 0ppm Silicon 0ppm
Boron 0ppm Sodium 0ppm Magnesium 23ppm
Calcium 3343 ppm Barium 0ppm Phophorous 1116ppm
Zinc 1376ppm Molybdenum 0ppm Titanium 0ppm
Vanadium 0ppm Potassium 0ppm VIS@100C 15.95cSt
Tbn 10.63

Wal-Mart doesn't carry synthetic Delo 5W40.They do carry the 15W40 in abundance.The Delo 400 performed very well in your application,it's pretty hard to beat these numbers for 6K miles.

He kept saying its chevron. Anyhow, I'm not sure if these add levels are similar to rotella t synth. I replaced this oil with rotella T synth, but it was 12.88 a gallon, cheapest I've seen it is around 11, when I lived in fla.

This analysis was for the regular Delo 400, 15w-40 ....

The iron level is high for only 6000 miles, a typical TDI should generate iron levels of 30-55 ppm after 10,000 miles. I'd suggest running a 5w-30/5w-40 synthetic year round and I think you'll see these numbers improve.

Any of these oils will work fine:

Delvac 1, 5w-40
Amsoil Series 3000, 5w-30
Amsoil Euro 5w-40
Delo 400, 5w-40
Rotella T, 5w-40
Redline, 5w-40
Petro Canada, Duron 5w-40
Castrol Elixion, 5w-30

What you want is a low viscosity, CI-4/SL or SJ rated, synthetic diesel oil, with a TBN of at least 11.0....

TS

Thanks for the advice tooslick!
I agree that I need to run thinner oil, and the car as rotella t synth 5w40, which I will probably add some lube control and/or autorx to. The short runs with thick oil in cold nyc weather probably made the iron a little high.
It's strange that the current 5w40 rotella t synth doesn't sound any quieter at startup than the delo 15w40! I guess these engines are tough and can handle thicker oil?

I also drive pretty hard, I love this turbodiesel engine!
Also, the soot could be the issue for the iron, because its pretty abrasive I would think!

BY the way, could you tell if the turbo is ok from this analysis? I don't see an Ag (silver) reading! I can hear the turbo whine when its cold. When warm, I can hear it spool down, but when its spooled up high enough its inaudible due to high rpms of the turbine I suppose.

Next interval will be a short run of dino to rinse any more garbage. Then I would like to use M1 truck and suv oil (rebadged delvac 1). Maybe mobil 1 0w40 would be better for my super short trips, plus it has moly! Heck, thats what europe uses mostly probably for these tdi's!
Or maybe I should just do rotella t synth at 7500 mi max intervals?

I'm glad the cr is low, rings must be doing ok... I get about 35 mpg in mostly stop and go, city driving. On the highway I got 47 mpg, doing halfway 65-70 and other half 70-80 mph. Powerservice doesn't seem to affect the mileage, so ill be changing to fuel power.

I've been testing AutoRX for the past two years and I can't say enough good things about it.

I'd highly recommend an Auto RX treatment - it will work fine with the Group III based Rotella T.
I have tested it with the GP III, Petro Canada 5w-40 and it did a excellent job. It cleans even in engines were PAO/ester based synthetic have been used since day one ....

Auto RX is amazing stuff - I only wish I had developed it!
shocked.gif

If you can find some biodiesel blend, either B10 or B20, I think that's best for the TDI engine.

TS

The last owner had a prob a few k ago with the timing belt off a tooth. Couldn't start, did a t belt change and it worked fine. So I wonder if the valves are fine, soot may be from that, or is it just the chip?

What do you think about the turbo? No silver reading makes me wonder.

should I run a full auto rx application now, or wait for this as a mini rinse of the 4 oz before? Also, should I team it up with LC?

I second TooSlick's suggestion about Auto-RX. I bought my 00' Jetta TDI last Fall with 54k on it. The maintenance history was incomplete so I decided to assume the worst. I ran double Auto-RX clean/rinse cycles just to be sure it was clean inside. I was amazed at the amount of liquified "stuff" trapped in the filter after the first cleaning. Now I am running Delvac 1 and looking forward to my first oil analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back