Fuchs Titan Universal HD 15w-40, Nissan Patrol 4.2l Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil: Fuchs Titan Universal HD 15w-40. This is Fuchs bottom of the range dino oil in Australia. It is rated CF-4

Nissan Patrol 4.2l Turbo (not intercooled), six cylinder, indirect injection. This oil has been used for approx 70 000km.

Oil change.16/1/04
Oil sample.07/3/04

Total km. 103 094
Oil km......3 714
Filter......3 714

Analysis-Metals

Al...4
Cu..1
Cr..less than 1
Fe..5
Pb..4
Sn..less than 1

Contaminants

Si..2
Na..less than 1

Physical Tests

Water(% by FTIR)..less than 0.1
Vi................14.3
Soot..............0.4
PQ Index.......38.0
Fuel...............1.0

Ive emailed the lab to obtain TBN and Nitration figures.

Looks pretty good. The next Nissan recommended oil change is in 1300km !

BTW, this engine was overheated about 1000km ago towing a horse and float over a mountain pass. (grass seeds in radiator), hence my desire for an analysis.

Rick.

[ March 15, 2004, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: tdi-rick ]

BTW, oil filters are Nippon Max and Sakura, (it uses two, both are Japanese) and the air cleaner is a Sakura.

Rick.

Nissan's recommended oil change interval is every 5 000km, filters at 10 000km.

I was going to change to D1 (to standardise with what I use in my Land Rover) at the next OC, as this vehicle can do some long hours pulling heavy loads and is turbocharged, yet after this result why should we change ?
At least with D1 I could potentially go to an extended drain.
D1 is twice the price, yet I think the Fuchs Universal could go to 10 0000km without any problem.

Any thoughts ?

Rick.

Hi Rick,
yes a very good report!

This oil could go to 10kkms easily going by the UOA - but the TBN will confirm the trend

I think you will find the well made Nippon-Max filter speaks Chinese

Whilst I would be very happy to use FUCHS, the Del 1 will do the job very well for you

Regards
Doug

quote:

.....Nippon-Max filter speaks Chinese

Mandarin or Cantonese, Doug ??
wink.gif
although they look a little strange without a centre support tube.

I already have some Bahasa Indonesia speaking Donaldson's in stock for the next filter change.
grin.gif

Thanks for the input.
I'm still not sure which way I'll jump on this one, but I'll probably go the D1 route. I double checked prices from my supplier last week, and a D1 20 litre drum is $188.20, incl. GST, and the Fuchs Universal is $44.00 for 10 litres.

Rick.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back