Landrover TD5 oil report

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time posting after recomendation from another forum.

Just bourght a new- to me- landrover TD5 and had an oil test done the results are below. It's only had one dealer oil change and the sticke says mobil 1 so i assume it is Delvac 1 ,recomended by LR, which is what the test is based on. Since the report I've changed the oil to Castrol super R 0W40 and the two filters. I intend to have another test done at the end of the march by which time i should have clocked aboth 5,000Ks on the new oil. Of interest TD5's have been know to have leaky injector seals or worse cracked heads.

The **viscosity and fuel** were found on the test to be out of kilter and it was recomended that filters and oil be changed; now done

Would appricae any comments.

Vehicle
2002 Landrover Defender
5-CYL diesel 2.5 Lt
turbo direct injection
Air cooled inter cooler

Oil Mobil Delvac 1 - 5W40

Ks traveled on oil 11,000Ks
Total K vehicle traveled 31,008

Filters -standard
1 -Centrifugal Original -from new
2 -Full flow element changed at 20K service

Metals - PPM Analysis
Aluminum -AI 7
Copper -CU 7
Chromium -CR 2
Iron -Fe 35
Lead -Pb 5
Tin - Sn 2

Contaminants/additives -PPM-
Silicon -Si 8
Sodium -Na
Physical Tests
Water -by % FTIR Viscosity -cSt, 100 degrees C **9.2**
Soot % 0.3
PQ Index 24
Fuel % **5**

Welcome to the craziness, Scott.
cheers.gif

Looks like a very good report, if I was to nit-pick, I would say the iron seems a bit high. The one other Landrover report I can find also has slightly elevated iron, so this may be normal. Because we mostly see reports of oils available in North America, I'm really interested to see the Castrol Super R analyzed. So many oil manufacturers, especially Castrol, seem to make some outstanding oils, but they don't let us play with them.
frown.gif

G,day Scott.
welcome.gif

It's a shame you don't know exactly which oil is in the sump.

If it is D1, the viscosity is a lot lower than my report with the same milage (kilometreage ?) http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=000072

Can you contact the dealer to find out exactly which Mobil oil, if it is Mobil, was used ?

Did you get a TBN (Total Base Number) figure with the report?
If not, request one on your next test.
I assume this is an eMonitor/Australian Laboratory Services report. If so, they will include it if you request it.

With regards to the rest of the figures, I'm real new to this as well, so can't give you any meaningful feedback, but regarding the fuel dilution, what sort of driving do you do ?
Short trips can be a killer in this regard, not letting the oil get to a high enough temp. to evaporate off condensibles.

I think we'll wait for more experienced heads to really work out what is going on here.

Rick
cheers.gif

[ March 06, 2004, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: tdi-rick ]

Hi,
scott oz - fuel at 5% is a real problem in this report and the cause needs to be analysed

Castrol "R" 0w-40 will never perform as well as Delvac 1 5w-40 in this engine

Regards
Doug

I rang Castrol and while they will say there product is the best, they also noted that their Super "R" 5W30 is the closest to the LR (BMW) specification. They advise that the supper "R" 0W40 is a full synthetic and exceeds the BMW specification. The reason the Super “R” 0W40 was not submitted to BMW was because the 5W30 had already been approved?

They commented that it is superior to the Delvac 1.

I suppose to be honest, it’s one company V another, and I admit that I have a preference for Castrol oils.

I can’t see why I wouldn’t use the 0W40 it has apparently a better viscosity at lower temperature and is less viscous at the upper temperature? It meets all the relevant standards for he motor.

Is it worth the extra?? To me the question is, is it a better product to the motor long term??

I'd bet 90% of the members here would go for Delvac 1. Remember Cadstrol were the company that caused all the Group III/hydrocracked is syn rubbish in the first place. At least Mobil have always held the 'real' syn line with M1 and D1 and not put profits before performance unlike Cadstrol.

Hi,
Scott - look under my UOA's on Detroit Diesels and my Porsche for Delvac 1 performance results

I have some reservations from your UOA that the previous oil in your engine was in fact Delvac 1. This oil is NOT easy to obtain and I expect the actual oil was a Mobil 1 variant perhaps even M1 0w-40 or perhaps Delvac MX or even another Delvac product but this seems strange!

As I said earlier Castrol "R" Ow-40 will never perform as well as Delvac 1 in this engine

With diesels it is all about how the oil handles soot and maintains its viscosity. You are comparing a petrol specific Castrol oil to a professional use diesel "mixed fleet" synthetic HDEO in Delvac 1 which has the best soot handling ability and viscosity retention in the business

Castrol do not have a lubricant in the same league as Delvac 1 for this application

In the 1980s and 1990s I have carried out protoype oil testing for Castrol taking many UOAs in the process. They make ( or made ) and excellent range of diesel specific oils. Unfortunately this has been somwhat compromised now that BP own Castrol.

As a matter of interest the mineral HDEO "Castrol RX Super" 15w-40 CI-4/SL would be a much better and far cheaper choice in your engine than any of their "R" synthetic range of oils

As well, I use commercial versions of the Mann-Hummel centrifuge which is used on your engine
I believe that it might be in your best interest to change the rotor in this filter as you will then have a datum point for both oil and filters
for the future

Regards
Doug
cheers.gif

[ March 15, 2004, 02:02 AM: Message edited by: Doug Hillary ]

You could be correct on the oil being only Mobile 1. I was told by the dealer who did the servicing that they only use Mobile and Delvac 1 for the TD5.

When I changed the oil I also changed both filters.

The oil has now done 2096K's since the oil change most of which has been long trips. One direct from Brisbane to Sydney some 963Ks without the motor being turned off, 11 hours.

Checked the oil and none has been used and the color is just detectably darker than when new?

I'll be sending the oil off for testing on the 26/3 to see if there is any fuel contamination before I send it in for the 40K service. Will make for an interesting comparison?

Interesting comments so far? Clearly I'll need to do some more reading. Never heard any bad comments about Castrol until this forum?

I've now had three tests done and the results are as below.

I'm ordering DELVAC 1 so I'll see how that goes. However I believe there is a dilution problem so changing the oil will make no dfferance. The latest test was 11,000K in four weeks driving and you'll note the viscosity is down to 9.9 from vergin oir at 12.9 At 100 degrees.

Oil Mobil 1 5W40 Castrol Super “R” 0W40
Ks traveled on oil 11,000Ks 3,232 11,930
Total K 31,008 34725 46568

Filters standard
1 Centrifugal Changed
2 Full flow element changed

Metals PPM Analysis
Aluminum AI 7 4 7
Copper CU 7 2 6
Chromium CR 2 1 1
Iron Fe 35 11 33
Lead Pb 5 2 5
Tin Sn 2 1 1

Contaminants/additives (PPM)
Silicon Si 8 3 4
Sodium Na
Physical Tests
Water by % FTIR Viscosity **9.2** 11.3 9.9
Soot % 0.3 0.3 0.3
PQ Index 24 28 20
Fuel % **5** 1 **3**

Sorry, there are ***three*** figures the first number represents the first test result with last number representing the latest result. Unfortunatly the layout didn't come accross so it looks a little confused.

Seems to be Castrol 0w-40 did a good job here.Still hard to say.First fix your fuel leak problem and do an UOA on both oils and see.
Cheers.

G'day Scott,
weren't Land Rover Australia replacing the head, or at least testing it and the fuel rail/injectors/seals ?
(For the uninitiated, Land Rover had 'issue's' with either cracked or porous castings and/or seals in this common rail injected engine in Europe. Scott has been haggling with Land Rover Oz for a fair while now trying to get them to help him out)

Definately seems like a fuel dilution issue. Still.

cheers,

Rick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back