Detroit Diesel Series 60 DDEC4 500hp@1800rpm -7

Status
Not open for further replies.
This vehicle is an IVECO PowerStar 7500 500hp prime mover. It is normally used on long distance Interstate refrigerated transport. For the last three months it has been used on yard duties and has only covered about 200kms

Delvac 1 5w-40
Kms on oil - 81,533
Kms on filters - 81,533
Time on oil - 8 months
Total kms on engine - 894,819

Sample date - 2/5/04

Aluminum - 4
Chromium - 6
Iron - 97
Copper - 30
Lead - 33
Silver - 0
Silicon - 11
Sodium - 50

Vis@40C - 94
PQ Index - 9
Nitration - 40 ( Abs/cm)
Water ppm - 1714
Soot index - 3.8
TBN - 4.4 ( D4739 )

Please advise how you view this oil which was NOT changed at this point

Regards

[ February 16, 2004, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Doug Hillary ]

Doug,

Wear rates look fine and the viscosity change is very small - I think the baseline for D1 is 100 Cst if I recall? If the soot is 3.8%, that might be something to consider. A TBN of only 4.4 is marginal if you plan on going another 15,000km before testing again or draining this oil.

Most labs use a condemnation limit of 50 abs/cm for oxidation/nitration with PAO based synthetics, so this oil has neutralized a lot of NOx..

I'm honestly surprised you are running the same oil filters for 50,000 miles. I have to wonder if changing them more often wouldn't help keep the soot and solids levels in check better?

Water is @ 0.02%, so that's certainly not an issue...

I think these are fine results, but you can run any oil into the ground if you overextend it.

TS

Hi,
Ted - thanks for your reply please note the following;

TBN - Detroit Diesel's(DD's) TBN limit is 1
TBN depletion has averaged about "1" unit per 10kkms but I never use this as an indicator

Nitration - DD's limit is 50abs/cm - when using Delvac 1 we extend this to 60

Filters - The Donaldson Extended Life Filters ( ELF3998) are not changed during an OCI. They are virtually redundant due to our use of MANN-HUMMEL centrifuge by-pass filters but we randomly cut them open to inspect

The centrifuge device was inoperative in this unit due to a maintenance oversight so please refer to the next thread on this under a suffix "7"

Regards
Doug
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back